Search the forum,

Discuss Vertical rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've never fitted a vertical rad yet but will be doing so on Saturday. .

I've done a little research and know it's important to pipe up the flow on the correct side of the rad so it flows through the entire rad and not just the outside.

My question is this:

Say the flow is on the left, can you rotate the rad 180 degrees so flow is on the right? Are the diverter plugs on the same opposite sides?

Cheers

Yes mate, ther rad won't know which way it's facing:cool3:

it depends on the rad, some you can change but some have the brackets made into the back so have to be hung as made.

it depends on the rad, some you can change but some have the brackets made into the back so have to be hung as made.
Oh pooh! I'll have to give the mi's a glance then

some have a "straw" to direct the water to the to p of the rad which you can change to whichever side is the flow.

some have a "straw" to direct the water to the to p of the rad which you can change to whichever side is the flow.
I'm hoping so.. guess I'll find out Saturday ;) at least I'm a little more clued up now - cheers guys!

If doing pipework to vertical rads all, from scratch, tee off from 22mm and not too long 15mm runs.
The TRVs are very restrictive for vertical rads as the flow needs to be decent

If doing pipework to vertical rads all, from scratch, tee off from 22mm and not too long 15mm runs.
The TRVs are very restrictive for vertical rads as the flow needs to be decent
Custard decided he didn't want to take up floor tiles so just extending the 15mm. You reckon it's gonna be an issue then? Think I'm extending it by about 1.5m

Custard decided he didn't want to take up floor tiles so just extending the 15mm. You reckon it's gonna be an issue then? Think I'm extending it by about 1.5m

No problem really. If the customer says pipes can't be altered then you can't do it.
I just meant every large vertical rad seem to need to be taken off the 22mm if possible.
As long as it isn't done like one job I come across, - 4 large vertical rads and I think all off the one set of 15mm pipes all buried in screed. Builder job obviously and doesn't really work.

No problem really. If the customer says pipes can't be altered then you can't do it.
I just meant every large vertical rad seem to need to be taken off the 22mm if possible.
As long as it isn't done like one job I come across, - 4 large vertical rads and I think all off the one set of 15mm pipes all buried in screed. Builder job obviously and doesn't really work.
I'll see tomorrow.. could I not go up to 22 from the floor to underneath the rad and then back to 15, or would the bottleneck make it pointless? Most of the pipework will be hidden behind cabinets anyway

I'll see tomorrow.. could I not go up to 22 from the floor to underneath the rad and then back to 15, or would the bottleneck make it pointless? Most of the pipework will be hidden behind cabinets anyway

No, just ignore me, - I was only meaning try to pipe any new piped jobs with 15mm rad pipes coming off the 22mm main runs. 15mm will easily do one big rad. Just don't want to come off 15mm pipes that are already overloaded doing another rad or sometimes several.
I tend to pipe any large rads with 15mm teed each from directly 22mm anyhow.

No, just ignore me, - I was only meaning try to pipe any new piped jobs with 15mm rad pipes coming off the 22mm main runs. 15mm will easily do one big rad. Just don't want to come off 15mm pipes that are already overloaded doing another rad or sometimes several.
I tend to pipe any large rads with 15mm teed each from directly 22mm anyhow.
Okie dokes cheers best! ;)

Did the rad yesterday, was about 3m from original pipework, but tested and all heated up lovely.. :)

a1e68f62ac86ec7585270f774550a2aa.jpg

No, all sides were identical just straight through with holes to the columns

Could you see straight through from one side to another ?

and jay where's the clips ??

Behind the fridge ;) yeah straight through

Should of done the valves top bottom opposite ends else it could short circuit eg go straight down the return and doesn't matter

Last edited:
Should of done the valves top bottom opposite ends else it could short circuit eg go straight down the return and doesn't matter
Ohhhhhh ok I didn't think of that.. just assumed it would push through the columns regardless...

Surprising it didn't have a deflector baffle to steer the flow to top of rad.
If it works fast, then happy days

Surprising it didn't have a deflector baffle to steer the flow to top of rad.
If it works fast, then happy days

Was thinking the same thing, fitted a Hudson Reed one that was a right pig with no baffle, had to pay extra for one!!

Hmmm, I'm thinking I've messed it up now.. it didn't heat up extremely fast but I put that down to all the crappie in their system as neither did the original rad. Popped to screwfix was back in half hour and it was up to full temp all over. Worst case scenario when I flush their system in a couple months I can just put the flow at the top left. You live and learn as Shaun says ;)

The customer didn`t know any details or have any paperwork so seeing as there are different radiators out there requiring different plumbing it is not your fault as you did it the way most vertical rads need.

Just keep telling yourself that Jay and don`t fret.

The customer didn`t know any details or have any paperwork so seeing as there are different radiators out there requiring different plumbing it is not your fault as you did it the way most vertical rads need.

Just keep telling yourself that Jay and don`t fret.
I'll see how it heats once I've flushed it. Won't take 10 mins to change it over and it's peace of mind and my reputation that I'm starting to build. Cheers rpm

That would look on that ran running it all up the side of the rad

I know but there's nothing you can do and tbh it's not your problem but the cus has got two options

One buy a more expensive rad with the baffel in it

Two pipe it up tboe

If it heats up in an acceptable time then jobs done, no problem. I don't think I'd want to run a feed up to the top corner , it will look pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vertical rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock