Search the forum,

Discuss Valiant EcoTec Plus 831 external control advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SmegHead

Dear All,

I was wondering if you could advise me on how to proceed with the following.

Last September I had an EcoTech Plus 831 boiler installed in our conservatory area and to this day it has been spot on perfect in operation. At the same time we had a basic wired Honeywell thermostat wired in a couple of feet away by our hallway cellar. Tacky image alert - [DLMURL]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/120915/tackyimage.jpg[/DLMURL]

Now when my father and I had the boiler fitted we somewhat overlooked the fact that we wanted the fridge freezer unit slotted right in front of it. The old photo below will give you a rough idea of what I mean. We did not forsee that in order to access the timer controls, and to actually switch the boiler off and on we would have to drop the control panel lid down potentially colliding with the fridge - if it was in its proposed place.
[DLMURL]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/120915/2012-09-30%2018.23.01.jpg[/DLMURL]

Long story short, we have situated the fridge/freezer elsewhere but I would really like to have it moved back into it's intended position. I know nothing about external controls for this Valiant. Could a wireless control system be used in order to switch the boiler off and on, and to setup a timer? If so, could someone point me in the right direction please?

We very rarely use the timer function since I wake up rather early at 4am for work and just switch the system on but it would be handy to have either way. I have been looking at some of the controls on the Valiant website but they look rather complex, certainly enough to baffle my technophobe parents. Thanks! :biggrin5:

Last edited by a moderator:
Flue doesn't look to be pointed up properly also Magnaclean looks a bit vulnerable with all that support its getting from THE clip.

Sorry for the late reply. Bear in mind the work on that (old) photo has long been tidied up - It is there just to show the space in front of the boiler. I didn't have the opportunity to take a new shot yesterday due to work. Believe me I was not impressed with the initial work carried out last year but I had little say in it as my father was paying for it. Needless to say the installer made things a lot tidier as a removable panel covers those pipes for instance.

A Valiant engineer performed a yearly service on the system yesterday and actually recommended a VRT 392f Wireless Thermostat, which I am just reading about now. Looks overly complex at first glance though.

A Valiant engineer performed a yearly service on the system yesterday and actually recommended a VRT 392f Wireless Thermostat, which I am just reading about now. Looks overly complex at first glance though.

Yes, you have to be a geek to understand them. Are you gonna install it yourself?

Delta Dore Come with 5 year warranty
Why is the filter on flow ?
Hi, I am not entirely sure what you mean by flow to be honest. Thanks for the recommendation. Taking a look at it now.

Yes, you have to be a geek to understand them. Are you gonna install it yourself?
I most likely can easily enough as I have the boiler wiring drawings to hand on the back of the boiler manuals however I'd prefer a professional install it still. Being an IT/Mechanical engineer I pickup complex UI setups extremely quickly, however my parents as of yet don't but they're slowly getting there :)

Believe me I was not impressed with the initial work carried out last year but I had little say in it as my father was paying for it.

Was the boiler installed by a Gas Safe registered engineer? Did you or your Dad check the card?

It does look like the filter is on the return after all. Check it out:

1ffvvv.jpg

Was the boiler installed by a Gas Safe registered engineer? Did you or your Dad check the card?
That he was :) It was the first thing I had asked for upon meeting him even though he was a personal friend of my fathers.

My boiler's a Vaillant combi at hgih level i a bathroom cupboard. I use a Coster CMD911 chronostat (got free from the Coster rep years ago!) on the landing which works perfectly, nice and easy to use, but Coster now replaced with the TED913. Only need to look at the boiler to check system pressure.

Please take heed of the advice you have been given regarding the fitting of this!

Please go to Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

It is illegal for you to remove the boiler casing unless you are a GSR!

An IT engineer?! I've heard it all now. On Sundays I'm a sprout engineer!

IT Engineer by qualification/hobby, working for a maritime defence firm as an acoustics/mechanical one for 10yrs now. Mentally exhausting job that I am strongly considering packing in just so I can focus on my home with a clear mind :) Thanks for the Gas Safe link by the way. Got it and the controller links from the others bookmarked so I can read them properly in peace tomorrow :)

I've got a Mentally & physically exhausting job, and I'm thinking of giving it up to concentrate on drinking !

Ive got a mentally exhausting wife and am thinking of leaving.

I got a mentally exhausting apprentice thinking if getting a dog!!
I am going in the opposite direction and thinking of getting a cat! Anything to keep my mind off work matters!

Thanks for the replies gents. I've found the Delta Core Tybox 137 for purchase online so I'll look into getting that done first thing tomorrow morning. It looks perfect for my needs after finally finding an English manual online. Looks like there are quite a few Gas Safe engineers around around my area (harrow, middlesex) so I'll get in touch with them soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not go for the 470f wireless weather comp, easy to use and great controls. Get a Vaillant approved installer to check the install, screws in flue? gas flow error and fan failure recorded, limescale filter fitted and wireless controls set up. worth it in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Valiant EcoTec Plus 831 external control advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock