Discuss Urgent Help Needed! Leaking mains stopcock (tap spur) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zoomer

Hello to everyone.

I am urgently seeking help with my mains stopcock, as I have a leak from the tap stop. I would like to avoid a plumber, so ask if it's possible to only replace the tap part where it screws in (as against the whole unit), as I feel I could manage this. I live in a flat with a closed pressurised hot water system. I have one cockstop (mains into flat that's leaking), and another one in line about 1/2 a meter along/up. If it's possible to just replace the tap spur, is it just a case of closing both stopcocks to change the spur - to stop water coming in and water draining from the system? - or can anyone give me any advice at all on how to mend the problem, especially as I don't want to flood my neighbours' flats?

Many thanks for your help and for reading my post,

zoomer.

you will most likely just need to tighten the gland nut,
that's the nut that is around the spindle

that is an easy fix without taking the tap apart or replacing bits. you will need an adjustable spanner to fit the nut on the shaft and some ptfe tape. all you have to do is loosen the nut so it comes along the shaft, wrap some ptfe (8-10 inches should do) around the shaft not too tight them screw the nut back in and the leak should be sorted. oh and welcome to the forums.

If it's just a slight weep try packing the gland with PTFE. Untighten the gland nut and wind the PTFE round then tighten it back up.

Edit: Damn you Steve! ;)

hey steveb - i did what you sugested, and hey ho it worked! Will keep any eye on it though. Really really appreciate the fast response and help. Thanks alot!

zoomer

Keefy - I thank you for your suggestion as well - that advice may come in handy as well, one day.

Keefy - I thank you for your suggestion as well - that advice may come in handy as well, one day.

It was the same advice really except steveb explained it in better detail. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Urgent Help Needed! Leaking mains stopcock (tap spur) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock