Search the forum,

Discuss unvented card but not registered with scheme- what am i legally allowed to do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi every one,

just seeking your experience and knowledge again all comments appreciated in advance.

As title saids i obtained a bpec unvented hot water card whilst doing my apprenticeship, it is still in date and carried out maintenance work whilst employed by the company who put me through the course.

now i have set up on my own and just wanted to make sure i have been doing everything legally.

Now i have read my training booklet, but it concentrates more on installation then maintenance and i am still unsure as to what i can legally do.

As i understand it i can carry out maintenance without having to notify building regs, such as valve replacements, now supply to cylinder, re-pressurisng vessels etc? but if i was to install a new unvented cylinder i would have to notify the building regs within 30days of work completion?

I would just like someone to clarify my understanding of the regulations and ensure i am operating legally now i am self employed.

if you hold the ticket, your supposed to have the knowledge to carry out the work. re notification yes you are supposed too, if you are gas safe, you can do so via their site.

yes i hold the ticket to do the work. I am not gas safe, so am i supposed t notify the building authorities every time i replace an existing combination/composite valve or Pressure relief valve etc?

if this is the case do you know how i go about doing this? also does it cost?

thanks for the help lame

normal building regs notification routine applies and will cost around £60 or so a shot, so time to join gas safe or other body that will allow you to self certify.

cheers never realised that, bit of joke having card then as worthless really if you cant replace like for like.
i will seek a scheme to join then. i am not gas safe as sub that in at the moment, do you know of any scheme i could join and a rough cost lame?

appreciate the advise

cheers never realised that, bit of joke having card then as worthless really if you cant replace like for like.
i will seek a scheme to join then. i am not gas safe as sub that in at the moment, do you know of any scheme i could join and a rough cost lame?

appreciate the advise
Heres the deal plumb_know.
The card shows that you have completed training & been assessed as competent under Part G3 of the Building Regs, so you can legally work on hot water systems covered by Part G this includes both the installation, repair & maintenance of these.

The notification side only applies to the installation of un-vented system >15Litres & here you have a choice,
1. If you do enough of these you could join a competent persons scheme (check out the back page of the AD Part G for a list) but it will cost !! As lame has stated if you are GSR they also offer this along side notification for gas appliances for a small additional fee. (& this can be competed post installation) otherwise its.
2. The house holder (owner) is required to raise a Building Notice with there local BCB before the work starts (10 days) & it will cost them around £300, you will need to provide your details (card details) & that of the water heater you are going to install. BC will then come & have a look after it is compete & provide a certificate which they will need to keep.

You have a duty of care to inform your customer of this requirement (in writing if required) but as I understand it you do not have to bear the cost or complete it yourself.

Last thing, I did hear that they were going to stop the raising of Building Notices as an option, not sure if they have moved forward on this as yet, anyone know ?????

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

thanks for for your detailed reply. In your reply you said the notification side only applies for installations, so if I am just replacing a prv for example like for like I would not have to notify them of this?

thanks

Hi Chris,

thanks for for your detailed reply. In your reply you said the notification side only applies for installations, so if I am just replacing a prv for example like for like I would not have to notify them of this?

thanks
Yep, thats right only installs are notifiable.

Hi guys does this notification also apply in Scotland im also recently self employed and not quite sure of the legalaties..brum

Anyone based in Kent that can self certify work?

Job is near maidstone

Got a customer that enquired about unvented cylinder new install and wants it done ASAP.
As first post states I have got bpec unvented card but Not got time to register for scheme and building regs seems long and expensive process. I'm after someone or company that can come out and check my work and self certify it. All work will be done to regs and to be clear am I not looking for anyone to pass anything dodgey etc. all work will conform to regs and if you feel anything is not right it will be changed to meet requirements.

Just prefer to pay plumber than give money to regs and maybe build a working partnership for the future at same time.

please pm me if anyone could help me out?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to unvented card but not registered with scheme- what am i legally allowed to do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock