Discuss Underfloor heating problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you get water underneath the flue outside?

I've never noticed any, no. There's a separate pipe that takes the condensate to a drain. I've never seen any water anywhere other than there.

Just a quick update to thank everyone who replied and to let you know I've managed to resolve both problems.

Firstly, I discovered my stats are just labelled "Pulsar Infloor" which I assume was the company that supplied them. After some online investigation, I now know that they're actually made by Mohlenhoff and are the Alpha Standard model. I'm no expert but they seem to be a fairly cheap/basic stat (e.g. £21.99 on Amazon).

I did some diagnosis with a multimeter and determined that during the 20 minute pause, the stats were still receiving power but cutting off their output regardless of how high they were. All seemed to be on the same cycle, which I assume was because they were all powered up at the same moment by the main switch for the overall heating system. I temporarily hardwired the wires for one of the stats so that the stat was bypassed. The wiring centre showed that zone remained active while all the others did their pause for a minute or so. Next I bought a couple of Heatmiser DT stats (which I'd looked at anyway before any of these issues as they're much easier to control in that you can see the current room temperature). I fitted one in my kitchen and confirmed that, like bypassing the stat, if it was set high enough to be calling for heat, that zone no longer paused.

Next I went to replace my sunroom stat (the one that seemed to call for heat continuously unless I set it lower than the adjacent kitchen one). On removing the old stat, I immediately noticed that there was a bad draught coming down the conduit carrying the cables to the stat. Little did I realise the stat was being cooled from behind! I sealed around the cables at the end of the conduit, stopped the draught, fitted the stat, and left it all running for 24 hours.

I now have a kitchen and sunroom at a comfortable 20 degrees, and those zones heat when they need heat and stop when they don't. No more 20 minute cycling.

I've ordered 4 more Heatmiser DT's to replace the remaining Alpha stats. I've no reason to suspect I won't then have a system that works exactly like I'd expect it to!

Again thanks for your suggestions and advice.

Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Underfloor heating problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm attending a wet underfloor heating system, it's an old one ..No flow meters, just adjustable valves on the returns with conventional...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have I blend valve from Nu-Heat ( they bought it from Reliance, as per attached spec). I have dismantled the valve now 3 times and...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'm considering having my heating system controlled by Honeywell Evohome. I have a question about the underfloor heating controller...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I wanted to ask a general question about an underfloor heating system our plumber is proposing and if this solution will be sufficient...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock