Search the forum,

Discuss Turning on Hot Water heats up the Radiators? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wild nomad

Hi there,

I recently come across a problem where by a customer's radiators were heating up when he turned the boiler to 'hot water' only.

The central heating is off, but it still heats up the rads. The boiler is one of those combination things where the boiler has it's own integral unvented hot water storage vessel and two expansion vessels to boot. It's a Potterton Powermax HE.

Anyone out there have any ideas? I was thinking the diverter valve.

Thanks in advance

Mike :)

More than likely to be the diverter. Try it the other way around. Put the heating on and check the temp of the water. It shouldn't heat up although if the diverter is stuck in the middle it might do.
Is there a lever on the diverter like the ones on the Honeywell Mid Pos Valves? If there is you could try switching it over and seeing if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply Robert.

Yes tried it the other way round and the heating comes on so your conclusions are similar to mine. Diverter valve stuck in the mid position. There is a lever on the valve but it does nothing. I took the actuator off and couldn't move the valve pin by hand. All in all it looks like the motor has burned out trying to move a jammed valve..... possibly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Turning on Hot Water heats up the Radiators? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
G
I've just bought a 3-floor house with a gas boiler on the ground floor and hot water tank on the middle floor. When I switch on the hot water at the timer panel, it works but it also heats up all the radiators above ground floor. I have to close them individually to stop this. The rads aren't...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock