Search the forum,

Discuss Trace Heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlumbersMate

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Anybody on here done this before? Is it cost effective? How do you install it? I remember from college that it is a cable attached to a pipe to prevent dead legs etc is it worth doing?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cerkap

The couple ive used you zip tie to the pipe and have a sensor on and are wired into the fuse spur ( i think). Try to keep em inside were ever possible

I've used trace heating tapes to prevent freezing in winter. Is it this sort of idea?

Anybody on here done this before? Is it cost effective? How do you install it? I remember from college that it is a cable attached to a pipe to prevent dead legs etc is it worth doing?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cerkap
Do you mean the self regulating heat tape (such as H-watt) used under insulation on hot water supply pipes, so that a secondary return is not required? (go on say no. LOL) If so they can be on a time clock supply & as you say don't require a stat as they only heat when a section of pipe drops below 55deg C. 10 years + ago they were all the rage as more energy efficient than a secondary system by the time you take into account heat loss & pump running costs (not to say the capital costs) but not so sure now? PipeLine use to sell it.

Do you mean the self regulating heat tape (such as H-watt) used under insulation on hot water supply pipes, so that a secondary return is not required? (go on say no. LOL) If so they can be on a time clock supply & as you say don't require a stat as they only heat when a section of pipe drops below 55deg C. 10 years + ago they were all the rage as more energy efficient than a secondary system by the time you take into account heat loss & pump running costs (not to say the capital costs) but not so sure now? PipeLine use to sell it.

That's what I want it for, to use instead of a secondary return because as I understand it you can't have a return on a combi?? The place has had a legionella audit and the hot water draw off takes a while to 2 of the basins they have and I'm guessing the trace heating would help this alot

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ys4fnu

What is it for Lee ?

It's for the job I spoke to you about the other day. Just keeping my options open. Was thinking instead if putting an unvented system in with a secondary return maybe put a combi in with some trace heating on it would maybe be cheaper and more efficient for the customer?? Just think an unvented may be a bit much for 4 basins, a shower amd a kitchen sink? Could be wrong though

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ua4pmz

Trace heating wont get it hot enough to kill of legionella bugs, It would cost a fortune to run at 60° .

boiler new location could solve your problem , how far are those taps from the boiler if they are more then 12m then relocating boiler is a option rather then uhwc or have a heat only biler to do ch and then install 10L uhwu under the unit for those far taps there is many options .

boiler new location could solve your problem , how far are those taps from the boiler if they are more then 12m then relocating boiler is a option rather then uhwc or have a heat only biler to do ch and then install 10L uhwu under the unit for those far taps there is many options .

I did suggest instant water heaters at the outlets but ideally they would like to lose the CWSC and F+E tank in the loft. Thats why i thought maybe upgrade to a Combi or an Unvented. If we do it the way you suggest with heat only boiler for CH can we do away with the tanks? As in will the heating be a sealed system with that sort of boiler?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4tlkn3

Sounds more like a job for a locally installed installed electrically heated un-vented (or vented) cylinder you can get smaller units 30, 50, 70, 100L one, which can be mounted, in some cases, horizontally or vertically & floor or wall mounted. If you can find a space. Of course it will need to be sized correctly for usage.
Heat tape requires very good insulation (foil faced rock wall or kooltherm) properly installed other wise the losses are too great. just for the record it is only designed to keep the water that is drawn through the pipe up to 55 once it is drawn through them first thing. i.e. it can't be used as a replacement heater being supplied only by a 13amp max supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trace Heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably no need for me to needlessly heat hot water. My intention was to turn the boiler off along with the mains water when going away. Now, I have heard...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Show us your fanciest radiators you've installed! We would love to see them! I love this Milano vertical radiator in the kitchen space. What do you think?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock