Discuss 'Touch Local' online adverts ~ I WOULD NOT TOUCH THEM in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I'd let you know of the techniques that a touch local salesman used on me about 5 weeks ago. I received a cold call from them after I placed a free advert. The salesman spoke to me for a good while about how a priority advert would get me on the front page of google and would radically help my business start-up. I, still hesitant as to whether it would help at a cost of £57 per month, finally agreed to try it out after he promised that if I received no business within the first month I could cancel the contract. He even said he would delay sending the contract for signing to help me out. There is no contract to sign, I DID NOT RECEIVE 1 CUSTOMER CALL! I then noticed that another £57 had left my account bang on the 4 weeks after speaking to the salesman. I called them and was told I had entered into a verbal 12 month contract and had I read their T&C I would have realised I only had a 7 day cool-off period. I told them what I was sold by the salesman but they weren't interested. After speaking to my bank it appears that they can take the monthly £57 from my debit card and there's nothing I can do about it. I have currently complained to Trading Standards. PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK WHAT THEIR SALESMEN ARE SAYING and good luck in your business. I was fooled and I don’t want them to spoil your day guys. Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Close the account, and move bank if necessary.

If he came to your house it might be worth checking the application of the Sale of Goods and Services Act to this transaction as home sales are subject to greater protection.

Where are they based Jim??

Re: 'Touch Local' online adverts ~ DO NOT TOUCH THEM

They're based in London. 89 The Embankment apparently. I've just wrote to their head of client services, a Mr James Bugner. Touch Local have had a real slating from people on the UK business forum and he asked all disgruntled people to email him directly. I've wrote and emailed him. I'll ring my bank today to sort this. if they don't then i'll close the account if I can't cancel the card. I have my fingers burned during this business start up. I won't make the mistake again and now I want everyone to be careful. don't be a fool like me ;-) Jim

Re: 'Touch Local' online adverts ~ I WOULD NOT TOUCH THEM

i think that no person or group of people or company that can guarantee that you will be on the first page of Google. i think that people is fake SEO! the real SEO's, there job is for the visibility of your business on the internet in Google, yahoo, msn and many Search engines, and they do not guarantee of that first page in google.

Good luck Jim, hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction.

Sounds like they make a habit out of this!

I got caught by one of there salesmen and am still trying to get them off my back.

After a month I decided that it really wasn't for my business (no I'm not a plumber by the way but wanted to join in the voice against Touch Local) and strangley enough it's pretty hard to find out how to hand your thirty days notice in. This was dec 08 and I'm still getting emails saying my payment has failed. I had to change my card to stop them taking the money every month.

What ever you do don't get involved with TouchLocal! I thought I'd check out blogs to see if there was anyone else out there experiencing the same problem and Guess what - there's plenty!

I know this is an old thread, but I thought it's important to point out a few things here.

A) If you ever get called by salesmen, hang up. Using outbound cold calling tactics is an aggressive strategy for any company, let alone one that has been reported to have claimed things that are just impossible like touch local saying 'they can guarantee to get you to the top of google for a monthly fee' (that's usually way above the average price of a decent website). Note that Google doesn't favour any website over another, and for this reason it isn't possible to guarantee any position in Google at all. Touch Local will cold call you if you sign up for their free listing and they do push their superior listings.
B) Verbal agreements do exist but if you've been told you're paying to get listed at the top of google then it's classed as miss-selling and you're entitled to all your monies back. It isn't possible to charge somebody and guarantee them high rankings. Therefore their side of the contract has been based around a lie. Go to Trading Standards with your complaint and ensure they look into their sales tactics themselves. They can knock up a free listing and get cold called within seconds. If they hear Touch claiming they can charge you to get you to the top of google, and then they read the google guidelines, they'll see that they don't match up.

As a web guy, and as a guy who runs construction forums (the type of member that touch would love to have on their system paying £57+ per month) I speak to many and read many reports about cold calling companies claiming to either get you to the top of google, or even companies selling advert space in mags that either don't exist or just don't get distributed to the type or amount of people they first claim.

The problem is this verbal agreement lark. As it's business-to-business you're not covered by free legal advice. You have to pay your own way to get the monies back in most cases.

So the only way to guarantee you will never get miss-sold by cold callers is to hang up and say nothing. That is to say not all do miss-sell.

Register your numbers with TPS Registration and then tell anybody who calls that 'you're with the TPS' and that you don't want them to call you again.

If they still call you, report them to the TPS and you're one step closer to getting them fined.

If they keep cold calling you, keep reporting them and keep a record of their calls. They'll soon have a fine in their mail from the TPS.

In tough times you need to spend your money wisely when it comes to advertising. For around £350 you can get an optimised website of your own that you manage and keep for life advertising yourself to the world. And although there are no guarantee positions, you can rest assured you have a better chance with your own website and not one that's just a duplicate of many others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 'Touch Local' online adverts ~ I WOULD NOT TOUCH THEM in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back