Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet service valve leaking not cross threaded in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have a toilet service valve that is leaking as it tightens on to the toilet fill valve. It is not cross threaded hand tightens with ease a good few turns, I have tired replacing the fiber washer to no luck. I have also tried ptfe with no luck. Any idea what could be happening, as I said it is not cross threaded.

is there a gap between the fibre and plastic when seated?

In my experience the fibre washers u get nowadays are terrible and I hate using them. Get a flexible tap connecter ( compression ) which has a rubber washer . There only couple quid.

http://m.NoLinkingToThis/p/flexible-hose-with-valve/34083

I don't think so, there is alot of play on the pipe. I have tired doubling up the washer and this made no difference either

Sometimes the plastic threads crack. You would be best replacing the balvalve with a metal shank, like fluid master.

replace with flexi or hand tighten speedfit swivel and ballafix.

oh and dont forget to check its not leaking from the actual service valve, sometimes they need a tighten up.

The service valve opposed to an isolating valve has the short length of pipe between the valve body and the nut with the washer, I`ve had these leak from there before.

Not so long ago there would of been an out cry on here if you told somebody to fit a flexi. lol

If it hand tightens a few turn easy but no more and it's still a bit baggy then i'd bet diamonds it's previously been cross threaded and your following that thread.

If it hand tightens a few turn easy but no more and it's still a bit baggy then i'd bet diamonds it's previously been cross threaded and your following that thread.

In which case a brass tap extension piece for a few pennies will sort it for you.

I meant play in the pipe as it's easy to line it up with the fill valve. Not play in the pipe when tightened up

did the old fiber come off whole or in bits and is one of them bits stuck under the nut?

Have you tried a new fibre washer pasted on both sides with Jet Blue or equivalent?

It was considered diy by a lot of the members, hard copper pipe only people. I recall some heated debates about it. lol

I hate flexi's but end up using them most of the time, most people down want to pay for the time and materials to do it in copper

My moneys on post no 7 by RPM, can look like faulty washer/thread but when tightening the nut onto the bottom of the fill valve, the spigot? can loosen from the valve body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet service valve leaking not cross threaded in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock