Search the forum,

Discuss Tiler takng the pish ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Took a small en suite on this week but priced it about 4 weeks ago.
Usual stuff shower area,toilet ,basin ,towel rail plus a cabinet to hang.

On top of that the tiling which was 10 square meters that i measured , the tiler i have been using is 35 quid per square meter so i rounded up a bit for me at £450 for the total.

Started the en suite got him in this week he done it and then text saying its 500 quid for that,unknown to me the cust decide to do the full en suite so he went back nex day to do about 6 square meters more . Text last night saying its 1000 quid in total, he told cust its extra but never said how much so has left me with it.

This is my cust and feel hes taking the pish a bit here, also found out hes been quiet with work . Bit of a quandary weyher to pay it or question his costing as its about 400quid over .

Who supplied the tiles / what's the bill for

How many days 3 ?

Put it this way did one recently

2.0 x 1.5m 2.4m sloping ceiling

Room was clear also tiled the floor

Tiller supplied addy and grout cost £500

Makes a mockery of what we do then .
What I'm annoyed about was his costing of 35 per m .
Then suddenly 400 ish over and no real ino to the cust .
That makes tiling more expendive than plumbing . gas and sparks

Yep a good tiler can earn more than us these days with not many overheads and no courses (re ups)

Basically labour 1000 and tiles another 1000.
He told me before he works off 35 per square meter .
2 days labour

I would call the tiler and express to him that this is what he quoted you. Then I would get him to send me an invoice for the quoted works and pay him.
After that I would call the clients and and explain to them the extra costs due to instructing the tiler to do extra works.

If they start being funny, I would tell the client and tiler to work it out between themselves.
The works were never in your quote and as far as you're concerned, they made an agreement without your knowing or consent.

Then I would pi$$ the tiler off for any future works

Only ever done smallish areas of tiling myself. Round a bath for instance. Lots of cutting in, wish I could do it for £35 a sq m and still earn £30 an hour. My tiling is so slow!

Back to your problem, who says the tiler is expecting you to pay for it? Quite possibly he's just giving you the option to charge the customer extra to pay him the extra, and since that wasn't agreed with you, you will refer him back to the customer and no one will be dissatisfied.

This is such a grey area when using contractors.

There could be a chance that the customer agrees that they requested the tiler to do extra work and will pay the extra.

There is also the chance that the customer says they expected the extra works to be part of the job and weren't aware of any extra charges.

We get the call for doing extra work over an above what we have quoted the builder or customer fairly frequently. I have learnt from past experience, unless something is in writing, we end up wearing the cost of the extra work ourselves and at our expense.

The builder won't pay for the extra works over and above the contract price and the customer won't pay due to their apparent expectations.

As I said, it's a grey area and generally someone loses out and generally it's not the customer.

This case, the tiler didi extra works at the customers request - behind your back - let him and the home owner sort it out

You only pay for the tiling he quoted you for , if he wants to go behind your back and do more work before having the decency to talk to you first then he gets payment from the customer not you . Cheers kop

Teeny problem here, Hammers increased the price the tiler quoted him to the customer, now the tiler may find out through a conversation with the customer.

Teeny problem here, Hammers increased the price the tiler quoted him to the customer, now the tiler may find out through a conversation with the customer.

And it's business hammers has costs eg admin checks bacs etc

Reply to Tiler takng the pish ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
S
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock