Search the forum,

Discuss The 6129 Mercenaries in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kyle87

I, like many others have done the 6129 tech cert. but am now on the Bpec gas foundation. After this there will be more training but not for a while. Will actually need to work as a plumber/gas engineer to afford more training.

Anyway that's me....

What I actually want to know is how many people have gone it alone with just the tech cert as their training.

I can't imagine how you would be anywhere near prepared for the real world. I'd like to know what the biggest problems they face are. For instance will you get insured as a plumber with just a tech cert.

I'm still a trainee, a very compitant trainee but none the less, a trainee.

I find it funny though that I have actually received more training than some of the plumbers out there doing it with only the 6129 or less

All this talk of tech certificates goes straight over my head. People come on saying that I'm doing this cert or that cert and I haven't got the faintest idea what they're on about. What happened to going to college to train to be a plumber? You need a flipping degree in which certificate you need before you start the course. It was so much easier when it was just a craft certificate followed by advanced craft.

Tech cert- pay a load of money and get half a qualification.

For me I wanted to progress on to the nvq but my college screwed us all over by offering the tech cert in the year they stopped offering the nvq as they've now crossed over to the diploma.

I'm just intrigued to hear from the people
who are out there working in people's homes with such little training.

Well that's just it isn't it - on it's own it is usually insufficient unless you're a competent DIY'er with a good grasp on common sense and you stick to mostly small maintenance or straightfoward bathrooms etc. In which case it's probably fine. Otherwise you should get more training - which need not be a qual. It could just be on the job shadowing. After the 6129 I spent a couple of years shadowing a couple of different plumbers until I felt I could start taking a punt on basic stuff and slowly extend my comfort zone. A 4 year apprenticeship shadowing tough sinewy northern plumbers in their late 80's with hands like cauliflowers would have given me a more solid grounding but meh....

Does it affect you getting insurance? Or at least affect the cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The 6129 Mercenaries in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock