Search the forum,

Discuss Tank Cutters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wonkee17

Hello,

I am doing some research on tank cutters and was wondering if anyone could help me.

Has anyone had experience using a tank cutter before? If so, what have you used them for and how have you used them (i.e with a drill/ carpenters brace etc). For what task do you find tank cutters to be most useful?

Any information at all would be very helpful - thank you in anticipation! :smiley2:

has anyone had experience using a tank cutter before?

yes

if so, what have you used them for and how have you used them (i.e with a drill/ carpenters brace etc).

cutting holes for immersion heaters in copper cylinders, using a carpenters brace

for what task do you find tank cutters to be most useful?

as above.

They probably have a very limited use nowadays and have been superceeded by holesaws used in battery drills.

Last edited:
Send the apprentice up in the loft and tell him there's an extra £20 in your wage if you can drill and connect live and have it done before the tank drains down and you have to hold the ballvalve up with one hand.

Heat damage to a plastic tank cus you don't want to by a £5 hole saw......... Tut......tut! :)

Note 2: In addition, the holes cut in the cistern should not be made using the end of a heated piece of copper pipe to melt a hole through the wall of the cistern; as such a practice is likely to cause the surrounding plastic tank material to over time become brittle. This could result in a failure of the cistern at a latter date.

my bad lol... Mine have been okay so far... The chap who taught me was pretty old school plumber as well!

Hello,

I am doing some research on tank cutters and was wondering if anyone could help me.

Has anyone had experience using a tank cutter before? If so, what have you used them for and how have you used them (i.e with a drill/ carpenters brace etc). For what task do you find tank cutters to be most useful?

Any information at all would be very helpful - thank you in anticipation! :smiley2:

Wonkee,

Have you ever seen what one looks like ??? I used one for years, but why would you want to know

735151753_125.jpg this is a crap version of one , it had two cutters so you could
make lead washers, I am confused about your question this is in the history books

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suggest you have a look at TB104. Specifically the note at the bottom of page 2.

I'd never noticed that one before. Good to know GAS SAFE are branching out into other fields outwith their remit.

Probably 90% of all plastic tanks ever fitted had the holes melted through with a bit copper.
I'm not saying it is right but that is the way it is.
Boss white is not good either.

Heres one of mine thats older than me and is used with a joiners brace
duna9e9e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tank Cutters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock