Search the forum,

Discuss Submerged Oil boiler - worth repairing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per title, went to customers house had Grant combi in basement and was completely underwater for a day. Boiler only 3 years old. Is it worth attempting repair or should just replace? I imagine it would need burner assembly and both pumps as a minimum. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Replace it.

I had a similar scenario in Belfast a couple of years ago when 3 900kw boilers were drowned in a basement. There was no trust in them.

They were replaced.

You would need to replace all the burner gaskets, combustion door seals and the boiler lagging as well as any cera refractories.

Replace it. Treat the flue with suspicion too.

A claim on house insurance would be way to go. I wouldntbother trying to repair as you will get problems in the future with corrosion. By the time you renew burner pumps pcbs etc and labour you would not be able to guarantee there wont be problems in the future. Best complete replace if it was me.

As above ^^^
House insurance will assess it & say it needs replaced anyhow.

Replace it. Too many things to be replaced and time sorting it out. Plus by the time the house insurance is sorted it will be a rusted lump. Plus you dont knowcwhat was in the floodwater.

Many thanks guy's, sound advice as usual! I will suggest that a new external type would be the way forward! get I above water level. Many thanks for your quick replies Cheers.

If you intend replacing like for like - strip out all the good bits and keep them against another day
or offer them on here CHK

Insurance company would likely go with you fitting an external instead if you wanted to suggest that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Submerged Oil boiler - worth repairing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock