Search the forum,

Discuss Struggling with back flush on a close-coupled toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I've been asked to fix a bit of a bodge - a close-coupled toilet leaning slightly to the right is leaking from the right hand wing nut after flushing. I've replaced the donut and fixing plate, smothering it with silicone in the end so no water could theoretically get out (this was a last resort and isn't how I generally do this job) but it's still leaking when flushed. The syphon is fixed in nicely so no water can get out but the pressure of the water when flushed is causing a fair old leak. In 10 years of toilet repairs I've never had this so any helpful hints would be gratefully received. Cheers all.

Do you know who manufactured the toilet?
Armitage had a toilet that was a nightmare to seal.
Sometimes you have to make washers yourself. Cutting a standard foam flat washer (not domed) in half, so to reduce it's thickness & putting it on top of the donut washer can often seal it.

I've had a couple of these nightmare fellows. It's probably complete co--incidence but in both instances it was an ideal standard (flat c/c plate, floppy rubber douhgnut washers)

In the first instance I finally got it to seal after two visits and 20 attempts by using a sort of trench of plumbers mate and swapping the drop valve I was trying to install for a handle syphon to lessen the oomph. In the second instance I gave up and told her to try someone else with a fresh pair of eyes. Nothing I tried worked.

95% are fine. But the odd toilet will ruin your day.

Next time - if it's white - I might just "accidentally" hit it with a hammer. New loo.

Just tell the client don't worry it's just a bit of condensation.....

Use the denso tape in conjunction with donut, as a lot of the cheap donuts compresses to nothing and can not create the seal, denso will. Have done this quite a few times now over the years when nessesery with no come backs. Hope this helps.........

I had this problem on a quality product from B&Q !
Was a mates house can you fit it for me please ? Yes I should have known better anyway it leaked and cistern was on a tilt no matter what I tried !
Told him and he says not got time to get another as 3 weeks !
Used 2 foam donuts and plumbers mate did my head in as toilet was in and out like a yoyo and came close to having flying lessons !

Use the denso tape in conjunction with donut, as a lot of the cheap donuts compresses to nothing and can not create the seal, denso will. Have done this quite a few times now over the years when nessesery with no come backs. Hope this helps.........

god I hope I never go in after youve been there !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Struggling with back flush on a close-coupled toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock