Search the forum,

Discuss Stelrad Radical trickling sound in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello Chaps

I've got a stelrad new fangled radical eco radiator ( fitted this instead of 'normal stelrad" as apparently pumps out more heat from the front, rather than the back, and as in a loft room thought would be better option), installed in a loft room, its the only rad "up stairs". The problem i've got is the darn thing makes a sort of trickling sound, there is 100% def no air in it or the system. I've tried opening the value fully and closing it, closing it does reduce the sound but no completely. TRV fully open or set to 1-2 etc, still makes the noise. Any idea on whats up with it?

cheers

oh it warms up fine, as hot as all the others, pretty sure the trv is bi directional, as in the stelrad docs you can put it on either side, i left it on the side it came from factory, flow and return are plumbed in the way of the docs as well

Sounds most people describe as 'trickling' normally come from disturbance of a free liquid-surface, e.g. pipework or components partially filled with 'air'. If they don't go away when you close the valves to the radiator, then they are coming from somewhere else. (Plumbing transmits noise rather well.)

Bleed the whole sysem systematically, including the pump and magnetic filter. Have a look to see if you have any 'inverted-U' sections of pipe where air might accumulate. If you have a variable speed pump, run it on the high setting for a bit to see if that helps shift the air around.

If it's not air then you may have a parial blockage somewhere, so I'd try to eliminate air as a possibility first.

I agree with Chuck its almost certainly air, just because you've got clear water coming out of the bleed nipple doesn't mean there isn't a small pocket trapped somewhere.

+ 1 for air. The tinkling sound is water striking another surface, that other surface often being water. If the water is continuous i.e. no air then the water has no "other surface" to strike. I might be stating the bleeding obvious but have you bled it from both ends?

You can only bleed it from one side, which actually has a self bleed Alladin on it but I also opened it up with a spanner , was no air. The other side has the trv as these radiators fill from the centre bottom not side pipes. I'm wondering if it's actually a design in these radiators, it glugs on boiler start for about 5 ish sec with a glut glug glug, tinkle tinkle, then it's ok but it's chineesecwater tourtute as I work in this room next to the thing

Sorry . You'll have problems if the bleed is below not above trv . :(. Air is generally less dense than water.

errm, seems i might of had a "failed' alladin self bleed, cranked it wide open almost to point of coming out completly and woosh, mass blast of air came out. hopefully that sorts it now until can get a new self bleed ( one where can change the cartridge, incase ever goes again), cheers for the info guys

Reply to Stelrad Radical trickling sound in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock