Discuss Starting new business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

princegoose

I am time served, taking my ACS next week and am employed. Im very eager to start up on my own. Ive read plenty of posts warning people its not easy and a struggle but my outgoings are very small and have enough money to get startet.

apart from GSR and public liability is there anything else i need?

Before you start you will need a van so say you buy a banger for 1K (btw i've got a 52 plate scudo going for 800, i careful lady owner, never raced or rallied) insure and tax it say 1500. Liability insurance around 300, ads another couple of hundred minimum. You may have stolen a load of fittings and stuff to tide you over for a wee while and think "i can do that".
Just jump in. You won't know if you can swim until you try.
If you live with your mother and give her £30 a week digs, have no mates and don't smoke you will get by!
If you have a mortgage i hope you have some savings.

Honestly if you have a job, keep it . The climate atm is not good. If you have a regular job with steady money my advice would have to be keep it.The streets are only lined with fools gold

Before you start you will need a van so say you buy a banger for 1K (btw i've got a 52 plate scudo going for 800, i careful lady owner, never raced or rallied) insure and tax it say 1500. Liability insurance around 300, ads another couple of hundred minimum. You may have stolen a load of fittings and stuff to tide you over for a wee while and think "i can do that".
Just jump in. You won't know if you can swim until you try.
If you live with your mother and give her £30 a week digs, have no mates and don't smoke you will get by!
If you have a mortgage i hope you have some savings.

Honestly if you have a job, keep it . The climate atm is not good. If you have a regular job with steady money my advice would have to be keep it.The streets are only lined with fools gold

Very good advise mate

Wife and I own our house, dont have kids (yet), at the mo take home minimum wage and wafe makes a nice living, so think ill give it a go, doubt ill be worse off, fingers crossed.

thanks for the advice

Anything else you need?

Some tools - but, in my experience, you don't need to buy a whole van collection in one go. A good pair of pump pliers, a couple of really good wrenches, jaw dropper and wet vacuum. Various miscellaneous like screwdrivers, stanley knife, measuring tape, pencil and spirit level.

Also stock - but only a few 15mm end feed fittings, a few push fit stop ends (for emergencies!), 10mm, 15mm and 22mm, side and bottom fill valves for cisterns and perhaps an outside tap.

There'll obviously be other items but with tools and stock you don't need to start with everything. You'll need to go shopping on your first few jobs but if you try to buy everything you'll wonder after a couple of years why you bought that 25mm MDPE to 15mm copper connection and aren't likely to use it for another 5 years. Ditto with items like a saw as you might have nine months of working without using one. Just buy one as you need one.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Starting new business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock