Search the forum,

Discuss Some advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jpemberton

Hi i'm new on here so not sure if i've posted this in the correct place.

My name is James, i'm 26 and i'm about to start a 6129 C&G level 2 at college (1 year course).

Any advice on what to expect, and what should I do when I've completed the course? Look for employment or stay in college and do the NVQ?
Thanks;)

theres loads of posts on this and loads of advice but do a search.

ideally you should start a nvq level 2 in employment as part of an apprenticship scheme, wage and all paid for.

its hard to get employment unless your a school leaver, so by getting the tech cert your putting yourself in a better position.

but it will be still hard to gain employment..... theres thousands in same boat as you.
if your determined to get into plumbing keep doing the courses you can do, but end of the day employers are going to take someone on who has a nvq, unless they can get you for peanuts.....

it is a catch 22 but the trade is dead at the moment - thousands of semi skilled out of work, thousands of tech cert qualfied people applying for minimum amount of jobs....

there are success stories - there are a few on here who are doing well - but you have to be determined and lucky....

good luck pal

theres loads of posts on this and loads of advice but do a search.

ideally you should start a nvq level 2 in employment as part of an apprenticship scheme, wage and all paid for.

its hard to get employment unless your a school leaver, so by getting the tech cert your putting yourself in a better position.

but it will be still hard to gain employment..... theres thousands in same boat as you.
if your determined to get into plumbing keep doing the courses you can do, but end of the day employers are going to take someone on who has a nvq, unless they can get you for peanuts.....

it is a catch 22 but the trade is dead at the moment - thousands of semi skilled out of work, thousands of tech cert qualfied people applying for minimum amount of jobs....

there are success stories - there are a few on here who are doing well - but you have to be determined and lucky....

good luck pal

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll do the tech cert and try to get a job in any capacity, plumbers mate if I cant get a proper plumbing position, and do my NVQ at the same time.

good luck mate - you'll obviously be in a better position after the tech cert...

out of intrest how much are you paying to get this qualification?

good luck mate - you'll obviously be in a better position after the tech cert...

out of intrest how much are you paying to get this qualification?

855 quid at riverside college halton in Runcorn Cheshire.
Its 17 hours a week for 36 weeks, but with the term times it runs from September to july.

Just wanted to ask, can I work as a plumbers mate while doing this course or do I have to be qualified??

Last edited by a moderator:
you can work as a mate anytime pal - they will look at this as a good incentive obviously you have no experience but your getting off you backside and trying so it will count for you.

I've just got a job today working as a plumbers mate, I E-mailed loads of plumbers in my area and offered to work for free just to get some experience.
Will this help me to find employment when i've finished my 6129 C&G?

Any experience you can get will be an advantage when you apply for a job...

855 quid at riverside college halton in Runcorn Cheshire.
Its 17 hours a week for 36 weeks, but with the term times it runs from September to july.

Just wanted to ask, can I work as a plumbers mate while doing this course or do I have to be qualified??

have they promised you this???????? it may not be available???id check with them

have they promised you this???????? it may not be available???id check with them

I have to say I'm a little confused! They have accepted me onto the course after my application in January 10. I've done the bpec aptitude test (got 100%). But I rang them the other day to ask them about the course to make sure its still running, they said they haven't received the prospectus for next year but I will be able to do the Diploma if that's running instead. :confused:

The 6129 is still available until the end of september but most colleges have already done the enrolment process this year so they are still enrolled on the 6129

you must be employed to do the diploma mate, if not you cannot succeed

colleges enrol every year, if you enrol now you will have to re enol in september, ther eis no funding fro the old quals from august, what college would enrol someone now knowing they cannot get funding for next year? unless they dont know yet? it may yet get funded for 1 more year but its a big risk, if it dont come off i wouldnt like to be the one telling all the expecting students!!!!!!!!!!!!
dont confuse enrolement and registration, 2 different things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Some advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock