Discuss solid fuel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone came across old systems,were you would have, a coal fire and in the builders opening you would have build in a heat exchanger thingamabe with a flow and return 28mm+ pipe work to a direct cylinder,very basic set up but what is the bit in the builders opening called.

if its redundant make sure it gets removed or you drill some holes into it atleast.

it has no controls, basically it's a vessel for water to be moved by the heat of the coal fire,and it is not that big are you sure these are known as back boilers

i normall refere to them as circulators but thats just what ive heard others call them before.

yeah, i was thinking people were getting confused calling them back boilers, back boilers to me are baxi bermuda type run by gas, you've have cleared it up for me ,it's me getting confused, can you still buy these circulators , P

you can buy a circulator made by maxol which is gas fired, very small flame which heats the hot water only, back boiler was from coal fires which had a damper to cover part of the flue way so the heat went up the back of the fire past the boiler.

Coal fired were always backboilers then came the little gas circulators (with the bimetal strip that kept sticking )
then they added heating to the gas circulator and called it a back boiler again.
Thats how I recall it. Last coal back boiler we changed was 13 years ago , old miner with free coal . Dirty orrible job changing them

Gray just check if they are copper? quite a few were. that is -----thick ----heavy----precious copper.

scrape through the dirt, my old boss used to make us take them out, the only reason he would do this is for scrap value, and he was'nt stupid so we were pretty sure they were heavy copper. Try it and let us know.

anybody out there know what they were made of?

Changed loads about 20 years ago and most were copper but some steel, right pain to get out and build back in :smug:

cheers pipeman, was pretty sure they were copper. we took them out of mainly old terraced houses with a brick coal shed at the back

ive never seen a copper one we used to remove gas coppers from flats which were free standing boiler on a flexi for doing your washing in they were tinned copper

this is turning into 'all our yesterdays' next thing will be dolly tubs and if your old enough to remember that then its time for bed.

I've taken out a few solid fuel Agas that have had copper boilers in them,they weigh around 20-25kilos:crazy:

We had a Dolly tub in the garden when I was a kid , we but buckets of sheep sh*t in it filled it with water and fed the tomatoes with the green soup it produced .
The house we are working on now has an enormous mangle in the celler , fancy cast iron legs dead posh !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to solid fuel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi We have a vented oil-fired heating system with a coal fire back boiler, this is going to be changed to a sealed pressurized system tomorrow and...
Replies
Views
Firstly I won't be touching or going anything... I only want advice if this is right.. my partners dad has a aga that is solid fuel unregulated...
Replies
Views
A bit of an unusual topic, as these are very rare in the UK. I went back to Poland to commission, test and tune the 20kW solid fuel boiler and...
Replies
Views
Hi My grandmothers property has a back boiler heated by a solid fuel appliance using coal. Yes, I know. She’s stubborn! Unfortunately the...
Replies
Views
Hi Have a 4 port solid fuel back boiler, is the any disadvantages of capping two of the ports off, (eg top left bottom right) then using it as a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock