Discuss solid fuel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone came across old systems,were you would have, a coal fire and in the builders opening you would have build in a heat exchanger thingamabe with a flow and return 28mm+ pipe work to a direct cylinder,very basic set up but what is the bit in the builders opening called.

it has no controls, basically it's a vessel for water to be moved by the heat of the coal fire,and it is not that big are you sure these are known as back boilers

yeah, i was thinking people were getting confused calling them back boilers, back boilers to me are baxi bermuda type run by gas, you've have cleared it up for me ,it's me getting confused, can you still buy these circulators , P

you can buy a circulator made by maxol which is gas fired, very small flame which heats the hot water only, back boiler was from coal fires which had a damper to cover part of the flue way so the heat went up the back of the fire past the boiler.

Coal fired were always backboilers then came the little gas circulators (with the bimetal strip that kept sticking )
then they added heating to the gas circulator and called it a back boiler again.
Thats how I recall it. Last coal back boiler we changed was 13 years ago , old miner with free coal . Dirty orrible job changing them

Gray just check if they are copper? quite a few were. that is -----thick ----heavy----precious copper.

scrape through the dirt, my old boss used to make us take them out, the only reason he would do this is for scrap value, and he was'nt stupid so we were pretty sure they were heavy copper. Try it and let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to solid fuel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock