Search the forum,

Discuss solid fuel log burner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cjay

Hi I'm new to this site, so hello all. I am looking at removing my gas fire and putting a solid fuel (log burner). From what I've read online some say you need building reg permission, hetas engineer . I know you need a flue, Flue liner register plate etc. I know I'll need a gas safe register engineer to isolate and cap the existing supply. I'm after any advice or comments people can offer. My only knowlege is what I've read online. I dont want to get ripped off by some cowboy looking for easy money and I certainly don't want carbon monoxide poisoning . could I do any of the work myself? Im keen diy enthusiast and enjoy a challenge but above anything I want a nice looking SAFE log burner and a headache free (my wife). If anyone has had something like this done or has done or contributed to similer work, any idea of a quote or price? Many thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, dont touch it yourself, nuclear engineer or not, get a hetas bloke in to sort it. Nuclear engineering has sfa to do with installing a stove.

Visit a reputable stove showroom and use one of their experienced installers. Making sure you check their credentials and previous work.

Yep not a DIY job mate .
one obvious tip I will give you is the one that most forget, have you space to keep your logs.
To give you an example my logs are on a rack approx 3/4 meters long by 1.5 high. It is crammed full, that just about does a winter , the fires lit evenings and weekends.

You wouldn't let HETAS bloke change the filters on calder hall would u?

Yep nearly Home. Was trying to remember Nick name of the cap on top of air stack at Calder is some ones name then "folly" was chucked on after 10th October disaster in 50's happy flyer was there as an apprentice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to solid fuel log burner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Firstly I won't be touching or going anything... I only want advice if this is right.. my partners dad has a aga that is solid fuel unregulated heat source and a oil boiler. The problem the hit water cylinder doesn't have a stat thus why the hot water is roasting hot but there is a pipe stat on...
Replies
Views
A bit of an unusual topic, as these are very rare in the UK. I went back to Poland to commission, test and tune the 20kW solid fuel boiler and the domestic heat exchanger for the hot water tank (300litres). Old heating system with steel 2-inch pipes and cast iron segmented rads We were warned...
Replies
Views
Welcome again! I'm 45, a Registered Adult nurse working in busy, acute medical wards. At work, I almost constantly deal with fluids and tiny pipeworks: IV, subcut, veins, ports, midlines, cannulas, oral, and nasogastric.. Yay.. Yet, after Covid19 something started to slowly break down at me...
Replies
Views
I could really do with some advice. Bit of back history, I have a trianco thorncliffe solid fuel room heater it has a back boiler, my dad put the system in just over 30 years ago, everything was bought from the then local fire shop, installed with lots of advice from them, the system has worked...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just a quick question. I have a log burner and a gas boiler on a dual fuel system (Central heating and Hot Water) either can do both. The hot water tank I believe is a closed system but is on the same level as the bath. Therefore as you might guess the water pressure at the bath even on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock