Discuss soil stack from cast iron to grey plastic . in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wigz

hi just been to look at a job and a customer has a grey plastic soil stack, apart from a 1/12 metre length of cast iron soil coming from ground level meeting the plastic. the customer wants the cast iron taken out and replaced with grey plastic. if i cut the soil pipe at ground level what type of fitting could i use to go from old cast iron to plastic? can someone confirm the waste sizes thanks for the help IMG00001-20110419-1308.jpgIMG00002-20110419-1309.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dig out the cast iron to the bottom and do the job properly. It will sit into a clay spigot (careful not to damage the spigot) Connecting in above ground can lead to problems.

will the cast not be fixed in any way the clay? . reason why i said i would go to ground level is to not dig up part of their drive and was unsure how far it would go down. how would you price up for this not knowing whats under there?

WHPES is right I'm afraid you'll need to dig up the drive it should only go down a couple of 100mm not too deep

im not worried about digging it up, i didnt realise doing it the way i was going to do it would cause problems, thanks for that.

you could use a 4" cast iron coupling with the standard rubber, but tbh it wouldn't look great

yeah i suggested that to her, but its a nice house and would look horrible and i wouldnt be happy fitting it, i think best option is to dig it out and make it all match. i wont need many fittings just a connector to connect to existing soil, any ideas on time it will take and a price. i obviously have my own idea just curious thanks

City plumbing do a fitting and I cant remeber who makes it, Polypipe I think, any way it has the same connection as a pan connecter on one side which you push into the cast iron and the other end is a 110mm soil connecteor, I have used these to great succsess many times, just cut the cast iron flush with the ground grease up the fitting as it is tight and push into the cast iron then push yer 4" soil straight into it. it makes the whole job very neat

thats excatly what i was going to do, but i was advised if i did it that way it could bring up future problems .

I cant see why there would be a problem with it and I have been using them for over ten years with no call backs if it is that much of a worry put an access spigot on top, then if there is a problem it can still be easily sorted.

Use a cast iron to plastic timesaver coupling. It looks like a clamp with a rubber seal and bolts together with a socket wrench. Looks very neat. Use a angle grinder or hire snap cutters to cut it. You can also use Heritage pipe which looks like cast iron and has a rubber seal in its socket. On many properties in Glasgow and Edinburgh and in fact most highly populated cities, the first length coming out of the ground is always cast iron for strength as its less prone to breakage unlike plastic. Plastic is the second length up from the cast iron. Time saver is available from most major plumbers merchants.

also good idea to use an access pipe at the bottom as your working between two fixed points youll have to half socket it to get it in or use a slip coupling

Last edited:
thanks for the advice think i will dig it up and put plastic pipe to the clay underground, will fit a access fitting above ground at low level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to soil stack from cast iron to grey plastic . in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We're in the process of upgrading 2 bathrooms in our house: the ensuite and the family bathroom. These adjoin one another. The ensuite is...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Excuse the length but this seems like a complicated fix. I lived in a 1930s block of flats. Brick building with concrete slab floors...
Replies
Views
Hi, Installing 2 new bathrooms, property only had 1 bathroom and the waste went into a cast iron soil stack which has now been replaced. I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Would welcome your thoughts on this. I'm installing a low level shower tray, over a timber floor. Cast iron soil stack only about a...
Replies
Views
Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock