Discuss shower mixer non return valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

handsomejackuk

Hi,

have fitted a Swirl Bar mixer. the mixer came with cranked fittings that i have not used because i have a back plate fitted. The non return valves are part of the crank fittings, what is the alternative way to fit some non return valves.. have 15mm speedfix going in to the shower backplate...?

THanks,..

Hi jack,

Can you cut into the speedfix somewhere and put compressioin non-return valves in?

Hi jack,

Can you cut into the speedfix somewhere and put compressioin non-return valves in?

yeah, been looking at that, seems the cheapest way to do it... just out of interest, will i lose any pressure by fitting non - return valves, as the water has to overcome the spring for it to work... ?

the spring is not very strong at all really just to hold the moving part in place

thanks Steve.... i must admit i have plumbed in a few things, but never used NRV's i can now see the reason for them now i am a bit older. and Wiser...:)

If you're taking the supply from balanced gravity technically you won't need them.

Right then.... here we go...wonder if someone can help on this...?

have done away with the supplied non return valves and the cranked fittings that came with my swirl bar mixer, as I cant use them with my bar mixer back plate.

I have fitted two compression non return valves on the hot / cold pipes as close to the mixer as i could get...as previously suggested..

What i noticed tonite, is i am definitely not getting as much flow on the shower head with the mixer set at 38, as it has been before i had n.r.v.s inline...

It seems to me as though the hot side valve is chattering, as though there is not enough pressure to open the valve....

in an attempt previously to reduce cold water pressure to my bathroom, and upstairs basin i fitted a stop valve to the cold supply to reduce flow to these areas, as my mains pressure is very high... my kitchen, shed, washing machine dishwasher not such a problem as i need plenty of pressure there...!!

what i wanted to know is, it just the case of balancing the hot and cold supplies ( visually, or by testing flow per minute in a vessel) to my bathroom enough to dispense with the both. n.r.v.s....?

or could i just get rid of the hot n.r.v and then balance it...

or are both needed for water regulations. ?

or is there a way of adjusting the bar mixer valve to allow more hot, as if i bypass the safety red button on the bar mixer, i have loads of hot... water flow, but at too high a temp.... ?

or are the n.r.v.s required on both lines, and maybe i have a poor flow / pressure from my boiler... ?

please advise....

Last edited by a moderator:
any ideas anyone.. could it be the n.r.v.s are crap i bought them from toolstation.... my system is not gravity fed... hot off the combi mains pressure cold....

since no one knows... i have taken out the n.r.v on the hot and all appears fine again...

ideally you need balanced water supplies and the combi slows the mians water down to heat it up so the cold is probably pushing back on the NRV on the hot side. Technically you do still need the NRVs installed.

But if your happy then your happy and I assume the shower is getting hot enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to shower mixer non return valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
D
Pipes for thermostat shower have been fitted at different heights. Any way of rectifying without ripping all tiles. So for clarity 15mm pipes...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock