Discuss Seeping threaded fittings... *stainless/brass plastic* in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to use Loctite 55 on metal threads. Never tried it on plastic though.

Last edited:
Sorry to butt in here but Ive used 577 since it was introduced in the early 90`s is 5776 something new?

I will stick with 577 it ok above 60 degrees but 5776 maybe cheaper

I will stick with 577 it ok above 60 degrees but 5776 maybe cheaper

The only difference I can see is that 577 says it will lock the thread, whereas 5776 says only seal. Price is the same, ÂŁ20 ish for 50ml (without discount).

As for price, I would pay ÂŁ300 a tube for something that was always 100% reliable. ÂŁ500 if it was overseas work :eek:

Our work goes into TV & film studios with 400v power cables strewn across the floor, ÂŁ200k per day downtime costs etc.. threaded fitting are not the most popular subject in our workshop..

As for price, I would pay ÂŁ300 a tube for something that was always 100% reliable. ÂŁ500 if it was overseas work :eek:

Our work goes into TV & film studios with 400v power cables strewn across the floor, ÂŁ200k per day downtime costs etc.. threaded fitting are not the most popular subject in our workshop..

Try calling the Henkel/Loctite Technical hotline:

Contact & Services - Loctite

I've never called them myself, but they're a serious outfit so I'd expect them to know their stuff.

Try calling the Henkel/Loctite Technical hotline:

Contact & Services - Loctite

I've never called them myself, but they're a serious outfit so I'd expect them to know their stuff.

I did just before posting on here - they transferred me to the right department and all I got was a voice recording saying technical services were down due to a technical fault haha!!!

But yes, given their prominence (and prices) I'm sure on a normal day their tech support is first rate.

I can't fathom how you are having so many problems with threaded fittings.
You are obviously having major problems, hence coming on here.

Are you putting the tape on the correct way?
Is the tape not gripping to the plastic fittings and spinning / slipping.
Try roughing the threads up a little, so the PTFE grips to the thread.

We did some waterlines recently that were between 1400kPa & 1600kPa, used PTFE tape on all the threaded fittings and didn't have one drip. The largest fittings were 50mm

Hi all, just joined to try and get a definitive answer on this!

When connecting threaded fittings, metal of plastic, what single application thread seal product works best?

We have tried:
  • PTFE + silicone. Virtually always seals but will seep if agitated after cured.
  • PTFE with Fernox general purpose thread sealant, still sometimes seeps on larger threads 1" or over, and can also fail if agitated after cured.
And also just silicone on some ABS/PVC threaded fitting, as advised by the manufacturer (PTFE can react apparently).

We have to quite often adjust the layout of the kit we assemble and we need to be able to make and break threaded connections relatively quickly, cleanly.

Many thanks in advance

David

The equipment itself is mostly pool filters/pumps. Which are normally all done with solvent weld. But we have to make the kit modular, mobile and very tough[/QUOTE]

Pool pumps & filters are quite low pressure things even on 2" so don`t see why you struggle.
You tried these?
Mega Union coupler | Bosta UK Ltd
Come threaded for plastic or metal pipes or solvent weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Seeping threaded fittings... *stainless/brass plastic* in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

In short: Do suppliers sometimes list BSPT as BSP? I need a tee, 22mm each end with a BSPT in the middle for an expansion vessel to dangle from...
Replies
Views
Hi I have installed my concealed shower valve and fitted wall panels, I'm soon ready to put shower fittings through the panels and screw them into...
Replies
Views
Looking to see what iron pipe part can fit a 10mm ball joint? In this pic there is a part that connects the ball joint (or whatever they are...
Replies
Views
D
small hole in plastic waste pipe which is the better fix ? Hi there need some advice please, i have drilled a small hole in the plastic waste pipe...
Replies
Views
Where the black polyethelene service line enters this particular structure is by far the most freeze-prone area. The structure is an elevated...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock