Discuss Seeping threaded fittings... *stainless/brass plastic* in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, just joined to try and get a definitive answer on this!

When connecting threaded fittings, metal of plastic, what single application thread seal product works best?

We have tried:
  • PTFE + silicone. Virtually always seals but will seep if agitated after cured.
  • PTFE with Fernox general purpose thread sealant, still sometimes seeps on larger threads 1" or over, and can also fail if agitated after cured.
And also just silicone on some ABS/PVC threaded fitting, as advised by the manufacturer (PTFE can react apparently).

We have to quite often adjust the layout of the kit we assemble and we need to be able to make and break threaded connections relatively quickly, cleanly and not waste time re-working seals as we currently do sometimes. We use threads up to 2" max.

Cost of solution is really not an issue as it's having way more impact on time than we can afford as it is. We also need to be really confident our kit will not leak/seep at all.

I have been looking at Loctite 5776 (LOCTITE 5776 - Thread Sealant - Loctite) and wondered if anyone here had used it, or similar, or could reccomend another product.

I guess as it's so important we don't get leaks, products used reliably for gas might prove most appropriate?

Many thanks in advance

David

577 is great but won't work on anything plastic

Sounds like you need loctite 55 or boss white and hemp

As Shaun says . Don't use 577 on plastic! It ONLY works with metal.

Thanks both of you.

How reliable/foolproof is 577 generally? For example silicone smoothed into first few threads is normally extremely reliable, initially. But it's not reliable long term. So we need a high tech product that seals as reliably but also copes better with a little movement over time. Can't use a thread 'lock' product though as we do need to be able to break the connections sometimes..

Never had a leak and you can disassemble when you need to

Have you used on threads up to 2"? And I assume just the 577, no other products used alongside it?

Yep and straight medium non tapered pipe

Even done an pita 4" one that was in a floor

Follow the spec tho eg need to clean the cutting oil off before you apply it

Hi all, just joined to try and get a definitive answer on this!

When connecting threaded fittings, metal of plastic, what single application thread seal product works best?

We have tried:
  • PTFE + silicone. Virtually always seals but will seep if agitated after cured.
  • PTFE with Fernox general purpose thread sealant, still sometimes seeps on larger threads 1" or over, and can also fail if agitated after cured.
And also just silicone on some ABS/PVC threaded fitting, as advised by the manufacturer (PTFE can react apparently).

We have to quite often adjust the layout of the kit we assemble and we need to be able to make and break threaded connections relatively quickly, cleanly and not waste time re-working seals as we currently do sometimes. We use threads up to 2" max.

Cost of solution is really not an issue as it's having way more impact on time than we can afford as it is. We also need to be really confident our kit will not leak/seep at all.

I have been looking at Loctite 5776 (LOCTITE 5776 - Thread Sealant - Loctite) and wondered if anyone here had used it, or similar, or could reccomend another product.

I guess as it's so important we don't get leaks, products used reliably for gas might prove most appropriate?

Many thanks in advance

David

I take it this is a threaded joint?
What are you putting together?

Yep and straight medium non tapered pipe

Even done an pita 4" one that was in a floor

Follow the spec tho eg need to clean the cutting oil off before you apply it

That's very reassuring to hear! I'll get it ordered.

Yes we clean the fittings, we use loctite spray cleaner.

Thank you so much for the help ;)

Don't use actual Boss White on anything plastic. It is oil based and will react with most plastics and destroy it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Seeping threaded fittings... *stainless/brass plastic* in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

In short: Do suppliers sometimes list BSPT as BSP? I need a tee, 22mm each end with a BSPT in the middle for an expansion vessel to dangle from...
Replies
Views
Hi I have installed my concealed shower valve and fitted wall panels, I'm soon ready to put shower fittings through the panels and screw them into...
Replies
Views
Looking to see what iron pipe part can fit a 10mm ball joint? In this pic there is a part that connects the ball joint (or whatever they are...
Replies
Views
D
small hole in plastic waste pipe which is the better fix ? Hi there need some advice please, i have drilled a small hole in the plastic waste pipe...
Replies
Views
Where the black polyethelene service line enters this particular structure is by far the most freeze-prone area. The structure is an elevated...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock