Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing a stopcock open in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gnasher

Hi all,

I've got a leaking stopcock that because of its age/disrepair I can't open up to repack. I also can't easily remove and replace it because of a really tricky location. I'm planning on putting another stopcock in-line with the first to avoid removing the first, but that still leaves me with a leak on the old one. PTFE tap on the spindle reduces the leak to a slow drip, but what I'd like to do is seal the spindle in the open position so no water can leak out. The stopcock is brass I think, but not absolutely sure. Can I solder? Is there a strong sealant that could be used?

I'm looking for an up to 5 year solution, rather than a 20 year solution; we'll probably rip out the kitchen and move the stock cock to a better location.

Thanks

Can the spindle & packing nut not be scraped clean & a pair of pump pliers (if nut is damaged) used to slacken back the packing nut?
You must seal the stopcock spindle at the packing, so you need to get the packing nut slackened & slid back.

Pack it with ptfe and install a sure stop shut off valve above it. Never worry about seized stopcocks again. I've installed many and am very impressed with them

Should just get it changed, if not PTFE and compound or if you have Fernox LS-X Leak Sealer that will help but its just a bodge and should be swapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealing a stopcock open in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, as you can see pictured I have a stopcock without a packing gland. Over the past few days my cistern inlet was suffering from an airlock and it was hammering constantly after filling. I turned off this stopcock, drained all the pipes, turned the taps back off and then let the water back...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
HI, Closing the internal house Stopcock located under the sink eventually stops water flowing from the kitchen tap or washing machine hose when these are left open. However, if the tap/ hose is closed, with the stopcock still isolated and left for several minutes then there is another stream...
Replies
Views
i can't tell if my shower tap (cock stop) is leaking or not ...............so after showering, the shower head will drip fast for 2 hours, then drip slowly after that...........i put a bucket under the shower head to collect the water for 26 hours the first time.............then 19 hours the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue with the water pressure. Toward the end of last year the pressure had got worse. For instance, you could not run another tap in the house if a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock