Search the forum,

Discuss External Home Stopcock in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

HI,

Closing the internal house Stopcock located under the sink eventually stops water flowing from the kitchen tap or washing machine hose when these are left open. However, if the tap/ hose is closed, with the stopcock still isolated and left for several minutes then there is another stream of water coming through. Stopcock is clearly passing - I have tried nipping up the packing, but no success.

I am unable to locate an outside stopcock on the boundary of the property. My house is semi detached and there is a one outside my attached neighbours driveway that actually looks quite new. There are also two covers on my other neighbours side (the non attached side). One of these is clearly marked with a 'W' for water. I have attached a picture of the other one to see if anyone knows what this is? It is full to the top with soil and no clear markings.

I know stop cocks can be shared between properties, but is it possible for a property to have no external stopcock? Reason I ask is the passing stopcock looks to be the second one installed in the property. There is an old one below it on the mai. water feed and that has had the handle removed. I'm thinking when the first one passed they couldn't find the external one to replace it and just installed a new internal one above it.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Don't want to dig out the pictured hatch if it's for another property or service.

Attachments

• IMG_8401.jpeg
    IMG_8401.jpeg
    822.2 KB · Views: 15
It's not uncommon for old stopcocks to be left in place and new ones fitted after.
The water board will come and clean out valve access in the street, may take a couple of weeks but there's no arguments about it.
If you decide to do it yourself then I'd recommend a jetwash and wet-vac combo.

As above the water supplier will locate it and clear it out or fit one in the unlikely event there isn't one.

Sometimes the street valve gets tarmacc'd over or lost under the pavement or can be found in the front garden if the boundary fence / wall was put up in a different place to the original plan.

Reply to External Home Stopcock in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock