Search the forum,

Discuss Sealed system losing pressure and want to check whether this test is valid? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flanagaj

Hi,

Our sealed central heating system keeps losing pressure and we have to top it up very frequently. So in an attempt to work out whether it is the pipework at fault or the boiler I have done the following.

1. I connected a pressure gauge to one of the rads and pressurised the system to 3 bar. The 3 bar pressure did not hold and within the hour it was already down to 2 bar.

2. I then isolated the flow and return of the boiler from the system, released the pressure from the system and performed the test again. I could tell the boiler was isolated as the pressure gauge on the boiler stayed constant at 0 bar whilst the system increased to 3 bar.

Given that the pressure still dropped after isolating the boiler I can conclude (unless my test is not valid) that I have a leak in the system pipework. Now this is really concerning as there is no evidence of a leak and I am scratching my head trying to work out what to do next. I have already added a couple of containers of leak sealer some time ago, but this does not seem to have helped.

I can go around and make sure all of the rad valves are tight, but can anyone comment that my test is valid given I have not fully drained the system. Unless the air I am pumping in is dissolving in the rad water which is causing the air pressure to decrease then I would like to think my test is valid.

Any pointers really appreciated.

Thanks

Testing sounds find.
What pressure do you normally charge the system up to & how tall is the property ? boiler on the ground floor ?

Can you break the heating system down anymore to test which bit may be leaking (cutting in a pair of valves) ?

Testing sounds find.
What pressure do you normally charge the system up to & how tall is the property ? boiler on the ground floor ?

Can you break the heating system down anymore to test which bit may be leaking (cutting in a pair of valves) ?
The pressure is usually set to between 1 - 1.5 bar. The boiler is located downstairs and it is a single story property. There is only a single zone in the house so breaking the system down further is going to be difficult.

I think it is possible to manually switch the zone valves so that I can test to make sure the cyclinder coil is not perforated?

Apart from that I might have to take up the floor on the landing and try to test the upper and lower floors separately?

The pressure is usually set to between 1 - 1.5 bar. The boiler is located downstairs and it is a single story property. There is only a single zone in the house so breaking the system down further is going to be difficult.

I think it is possible to manually switch the zone valves so that I can test to make sure the cyclinder coil is not perforated?

Apart from that I might have to take up the floor on the landing and try to test the upper and lower floors separately?
Keep pressure as low as poss (no more than 1 Bar) on the basis that the higher the pressure the faster the leak rate.
Is heating pipe work run in solid floors ? if copper & un-protected this can cause corrosion problems look for damp patches in the screed.
Un-likly to be cylinder coil unless pressure on the other side (HW) is very low, if open vented then overflow it cistern would be running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealed system losing pressure and want to check whether this test is valid? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi all not a plumber but am an engineer I have pressure drop in the system Worcester Bosch came back after repressureising the expansion vessel...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig...
Replies
Views
I've air tested pipework for years, typically 4 bar for 30 minutes. I've never had an issue with any pipework that has passed that test...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock