Search the forum,

Discuss Scale of 0-10 how dangerous is removing fuse from consumder unit w/o turning off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you know what youd doing, and depending on the type - not very.
But it comes down to competence and knowledge

easy to do but if you break the seal,supplier wont be happy

not worth the risk if you ask me, get a spark/supplier to install a breaker so it can be worked on safely

if its a buss bar no if has an integral clip buss bar (cant see the buss bar) then your fine

why you need to remove/refit one??????

Technical its illegal to remove your mains incoming fuse. Most power suppliers will do this for you at no charge, but can be a pain when waiting for them to reconnect.

Bahh just put a new seal on it ��

one of these do? a.jpg

He doesnt mean main in coming fuse. Reads like he wants to keep power to some circuits and remove a fuse/mcb on one circuit.
He says he wants to keep consumer unit LIVE

Is it a fused type or breaker type ? Stupid question really but if its just the breaker type make sure its turned off so theres no arc and booooom whip it out !

I read the OP as removing a fuse from a consumer unit without turning it off?
In other words, - Pulling a fuse out of a consumer unit without switching the consumer totally off using the consumer switch?
If that's the question, then I do it all the time, but you will get a spark if pulling the fuse out of a circuit that is under load.

He doesnt mean main in coming fuse. Reads like he wants to keep power to some circuits and remove a fuse/mcb on one circuit.
He says he wants to keep consumer unit LIVE

Sorry, - you got there before me as I was slow to type obviously. :smile:

dont believe what is written on each breaker/fuse, sparkies dont always get it right!

I know of a house that the builders electrician took the 6mm cooker and 6mm shower cables to the consumer unit, but put the cooker cable through the breaker. Very lucky years later that when the power was supposed to turned off, it was an electrician working on the cable and discovered it live

Talking about crossed wires, I decided to learn about electrics properly after turning off what was marked as the immersion heater. Being an ignorant fool I didn't bother to check it was dead, indeed I didn't even own a voltage tester at the time. Undid the wiring and grabbed a hold of it to pull it away from the immersion heater. Live cable touched the immersion and I couldn't let go for what seemed like ages. The closest I've come to thinking I was a dead man yet!!

Went out and bought a voltage tester the next day and learned the hard way never to **** about with electrics again.

Anyway back on subject. I wouldn't remove an MCB from a consumer unit with the busbar still live if that's what you mean. To me it's just unnecessary risk and it's game over if you touch that live busbar by accident. I would pull a main fuse though, it's amazing how many you find that are already unsealed...

Last edited:
Easily done. When I was an engineer for GDA years ago a lad was killed at work in a customers house through not dead testing and mistakenly unplugging the wrong appliance, then proceeding to grab a live.

Yeah I think I was very lucky that day tbh. Bloody scary, at least you can smell gas!!

Ive had that warm feeling once and for the life of me i cant even remember the full circumstances but it was at work years ago, im sure it was a kitchen drainer faulty kitchen earthing. But I do know it was a degree of leakage and not the full 220v whack.
I seem to remember that was the purpose of the call the more inthink about it,spoke to the customer and then forgot and put my tools on it lol !

i used to earn good money wiring up systems for a bloke i knew his words were "you cant smell it taste it or see it and it bites"
how ever if you just taking the fuse holder out of a old style fuse box i would rate the risk at 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Scale of 0-10 how dangerous is removing fuse from consumder unit w/o turning off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock