Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing Radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

P_opsy

I am wanting to replace my existing radiators with new radiators however the width is not a standard with and the piping comes straight up from underneath the floorboards.

The existing radiators 650mm width and I can only find them in 600mm, 700mm width! is there any possible way of replacing them?

Im a total novice when it comes to plumbing but no the basics!

so any expert help is most welcome!

The easiest solution is to get the smaller radiator but ensure the radiator produces enough heat for the room. You can buy 50mm extensions for the radiator tails from your local plumbers merchants which will make up the difference in size.

This way you should be able to get away with draining each rad individually by shutting valves at each end and replacing the rads without having to drain down the system.

The easiest solution is to get the smaller radiator but ensure the radiator produces enough heat for the room. You can buy 50mm extensions for the radiator tails from your local plumbers merchants which will make up the difference in size.

This way you should be able to get away with draining each rad individually by shutting valves at each end and replacing the rads without having to drain down the system.

Thanks for that

I was planning on replacing a single with a double! so if I go for the smaller radiator should be fine if its a double??

u can get adjustable tails but i dont like em

im sure theres some play on pipes if only a bit is needed

I think Paulus was suggesting the extension pieces rather than valves with adjustable tails. Can't see the prob with the extension pieces although to be honest I've had a bunch for ages and not used them, I just pull an off set and add a coupler.

I agree fuzzy, the adjustable tails are rubbish, I mean't the extension pieces like WaterTight says.

If I was doing the job myself I would pull up floorboards and alter pipes underneath but I was trying to make it easy for a novice.

i dont like fitting extension pieces as i think they look naff so instead i fit a lockshield with a scour in the middle of the valve as i think that it looks much neater and it takes up 40-50mm

also you can get a myson premier round-top for a funny size direct replacement

i dont like fitting extension pieces as i think they look naff so instead i fit a lockshield with a scour in the middle of the valve as i think that it looks much neater and it takes up 40-50mm

I've never come across a lockshield with a scour, can you provide more info please?

I've never come across a lockshield with a scour, can you provide more info please?
They are very common, you can either have the scour piece at the very end of the valve or in the middle, they are very handy for draining

lockshield.jpg.............

Thanks scotty, I have used these but never heard the term "scour". Must be a Scottish thing.

What's a scour? Can't see pic clearly enough - is it a drain-off or a filter or something?

Lol! Steve is right it is a drain-off valve, is it just a scottish thing though???????

As i said they are excellent for making up the extra 40-50mm if you are a bit short and i also think it look's much better than an extension piece

i agree extension pieces don't really look professional although sometimes when you can't drain down and there are those awful telescopic things that leak you haven't really got a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing Radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hullo everyone its a while since I posted on here basically because i have had no plumbing issues however I have one now. My son recently moved into a house which has cellar within which is a radiator which is part of the central heating system. The rad looks old, rusty and horrible as does the...
Replies
Views
I have removed a radiator and wish to replace using existing pipework and valves. The old radiator itself was 1290mm in width with a total width tail to tail of 1330mm. The pipe to pipe measurement is 1350mm. The height of the old radiator was 430mm however I could go to 500mm with the new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator with a more mundane type 22 panel radiator. The problem is that the new radiator sort of worked in the beginning, but it does not emit any heat now...
Replies
Views
Hi, Im a homeowner and have had a new shower installed. This meant the installation of a new radiator also. However, the plumber has placed the radiator far too close to the shower. It is right next to the exit/entrace of the shower which seems unsafe as it could burn undressed people and just...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, These sleeves cover 10mm PVC central heating pipes (see picture and ignore tape measure) and I believe this is what makes it possible for the 15mm nut and olive to attach to take the radiator valve. As you can see they are installed before nut and olive. I've ordered a black towel...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock