Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing a ball valve and whether that's at fault... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Feed comes in in copper, goes off into roof (presumably to feed f+e) in steel? iron? never sure how to tell those apart. The fitting in the middle (not sure what you'd call it) is not one I've come across before so don't know what to call it.

Although I'd hazard a guess you can just put a pair of grips on the middle fitting and another on the thread of the ball valve, unscrew it and fit a new one, wrapped with ptfe, into the female part I thought I'd check whether it would be all that simple or whether because it looks so old there's a chance of disturbing the connection steel/iron connection that because I wouldn't know where to begin with sorting that out.

The other things is what's going on. Ball valve seems to shut off fine (although I know they can occassionally manage to shut off in process of dying) but tank overfilled whilst property was vacant for a week with internal stopcock apparently shut off. I told him it sounds like the ball-valve has gone and the internal stopcock doesn't fully shut off.

My idea was just to change ball-valve. The water is the CWSC is very mucky with this layer of crustiness on the top. So I'm wondering whether the cylinder coil might have pinholed. I reckon the first thing to try is just changing the ball-valve anyway.

So, thoughts on whether it's simple enough to change it (I've changed about 30 before but not with this set-up of piping) and whether there might be something else afoot...

Oh and sorry, the pic....

Photo1252.jpg

To change the valve I would undo the thread from the tee fitting. It looks like a standard float valve 1/2" thread. So just unscrew and ptfe the new one and screw back in.

As for it overflowing the water must of come from somewhere. If you think the coil has pinned - check the level of the f and e.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would break it on the union just change the working bits rather than disturb that iron
why not just rewasher it then you dont disturb anything does anyone still rewasher a portsmouth ballvalve ?

Last edited:
Looking at the state of the tank I'd advise replacing the whole tank - or at least clean it and get a lid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing a ball valve and whether that's at fault... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
I recently read a post / comment whereby there was a recommendation that if you are away from your home more than 24 hours, then you should turn...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm new here! I've bought my first house - needs a fair bit of work doing to it, including the plumbing. I'm keen to do stuff...
Replies
Views
My 3 way actuator valve has gone on my central heating. I think it's a combination of the valve motor burning out due to a stiff valve on the...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock