Discuss Replace stopcock with isolation valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cavester

Hi all,

I had a water leak behind a false wall where a joint had been wiped to connect lead with copper. I had a plumber come out who replaced the lead for me.

However there was also an old lead pipe stopcock which used to be the mains entering the house and that was turned off but it connected to the new pipe. I told the plumber that he may as well take that out as I thought it was broke as the water was flowing in fine, thinking that that old supply was inline with the new which now has its stopcock in the garage feeding from the front of the street.

the work was done and water turned on and all fine except 3 hours later I'm thinking... I can't remember hearing that constant flow of water through the pipes before?... Then the penny dropped! The water wasn't coming in there as I thought it was in line with the new supply, but was actually flowing out! God knows where it has been flowing for 3 hours but I hope it's not under the floor somewhere! After searching i believe this is called a dead leg?

anyway question now is can I just get an isolation valve fitted to replace the old stopcock that was preventing the water going back out the old inlet (will it be as strong as a stopcock)? Or do I just terminate them both?

thanks in advance.

i agree cut as much as possible of the dead leg away and cap it off.

Ok, next dumb question is...

plumber is not going to get out today so is this something acompetent DIY'er can do and if so, how?

i was hoping an isolation valve would have done it and then I could have just replaced a copper join with that.

cheers.

Copper is where the existing joint I am referring to is. The lead is connected to copper under the floor with a lead lock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 97
This is under the floor coming from the pipe in the previous photo above....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 99
In the first picture (rotate 90 degrees clockwise to get correct orientation) the constant cold water feed is the bottom of the two pipes you see going off to one side.

it is currently going into a T piece, except I don't want the water going down (back out via the old inlet).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replace stopcock with isolation valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey all, Looking for some advice. My mother recently had her boiler changed but in the process the water had to be turned on and off as you would...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Plumbers I’ve replaced a 540mm high cast iron rad with 740mm high, like for like but still a 20mm valve extension was required. All was...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Morning everyone, if anyone could please offer advice on this issue it would help me with a massive issue regarding the water supply in my flat...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock