Search the forum,

Discuss Repairing a dripping tap - what’s next? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello folks, I’m trying to fix this slow leaking tap myself and I’m stuck here.
IMG_9392.jpeg

How do I dismantle it further to replace whatever needs replacing to fix the drip?
(The chrome ring round the top will not unscrew by hand.)
Many thanks

The internal brass ring unscrews and you need a 35mm cartridge

First you need to remove the chrome shroud- it either pulls off, or unscrews.
The follow what Shaun said.
Ok, I'm worried about marking it. I'll try putting a flannel round it before using a variable gripping thing.
The internal brass ring unscrews and you need a 35mm cartridge
Cartridge. Like for 80's video games? I'll hopefully get it apart and then take the innards to a plumbers merchants and ask for a new Donky Kong cartridge. :)
Thanks.

First you need to remove the chrome shroud- it either pulls off, or unscrews.
The follow what Shaun said.

You sure ? seems weird they internally threaded it if it’s meant to be removed first

Ok, I'm worried about marking it. I'll try putting a flannel round it before using a variable gripping thing.

Cartridge. Like for 80's video games? I'll hopefully get it apart and then take the innards to a plumbers merchants and ask for a new Donky Kong cartridge. :)
Thanks.

Prob one of these

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-35mm-ceramic-tap-cartridge/6086x

You sure ? seems weird they internally threaded it if it’s meant to be removed first
No, not sure!

A Bird’s eye view photo would help, to see how you might unscrew the brass nut without removing the dhroud.

Does the brass nut have slots or holes in the upper surface?

Well it’s not very clear, but I think that chrome shroud needs to come off - and the fact that it’s threaded on the inside (good spot Shaun) makes me think it will unscrew rather than pull off.
Try wearing rubber gloves for grip, try penetrating fluid, try hot water poured over the shroud, try a rubber strap wrench…

Well it’s not very clear, but I think that chrome shroud needs to come off - and the fact that it’s threaded on the inside (good spot Shaun) makes me think it will unscrew rather than pull off.
Try wearing rubber gloves for grip, try penetrating fluid, try hot water poured over the shroud, try a rubber strap wrench…
30 minutes trip and £11 at Toolstation and the ring came off. Now what?
(I don’t have an adjustable spanner big enough to grip the flat spots on the threaded bit showing here).
IMG_9399.jpeg

You got it, the next thing is to unscrew the slim brass retaining nut.
Tool in ease of use/least likely to damage anything: a socket on a ratchet handle, a spanner of correct size, an adjustable spanner, a pair of stilsons, a pair of adjustable grips (water pump pliers).
If you don’t have any of the above; buy or borrow.
If you don’t want to, there is a nasty/dirty way of doing it - but potentially damage may occur… you can cut a shallow notch into the top surface of the retaining nut and insert an old flat bladed screwdriver at a slight angle. Then use a hammer to knock the end of the screwdriver so as to unwind the nut. (It is best to get someone else to hold the tap steady for this method - but really it’s a last resort as it can easily damage the nut - or slip and damage the chrome)
Go buy yourself a nice adjustable spanner - it’ll come in handy in future.

Tool in ease of use/least likely to damage anything: a socket on a ratchet handle, a spanner of correct size, an adjustable spanner, a pair of stilsons, a pair of adjustable grips (water pump pliers).
If you don’t want to, there is a nasty/dirty way of doing it - but potentially damage may occur… you can cut a shallow notch into the top surface of the retaining nut and insert an old flat bladed screwdriver at a slight angle. Then use a hammer to knock the end of the screwdriver so as to unwind the nut. (It is best to get someone else to hold the tap steady for this method - but really it’s a last resort as it can easily damage the nut - or slip and damage the chrome)
Thanks for the tip. I'll get one tomorrow. And I'll squirt a load of WD40 on it before I set off.
I bought an adjustable spanner but the nut absolutely refuses to move. In fact it’s become a bit oval and the spanner just slips round and is flattening the thread.
Any further ideas before I give up and call a plumber?
Thanks
IMG_9404.jpeg
IMG_9405.jpeg

Ok so an electrician who was installing some lights for us also does taps and he managed to get the cartridge out. It required a better clamp and a certain level of “f it” when applying the right amount of force.
Next up is finding the correct cartridge. Searching for the product code N35HBS does not return anything in the UK.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
IMG_9408.jpeg
IMG_9409.jpeg
IMG_9410.jpeg

Don’t have a clue I’m guessing the steel rod is an indent eg click open

It’s one of them might be easier to change the tap

The only tap cartridge that resembles yours is this one. N35HBS - http://www.geargroup.cn/ProDetail.aspx?id1=4&id2=7&id3=92

It's from China where your tap was made.

Looking at the damage to those threads on the tap, maybe a new monobloc with a hot and cold separate cartridges might be an idea.
That is my thinking as well. Thank you very much for confirming this. And it has made my mind up that I’m going to have both taps replaced.
Thank you everybody for your advice.

Any time we come across one of these taps dripping, we replace the tap, its not worth all the messing about to try and get the cartridge out and then source a replacement. You can usually pick taps up for £50 out of Screwfix and the repair can be made that day

Reply to Repairing a dripping tap - what’s next? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock