Discuss removing a strap on boss. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Is there any way of removing a strap on boss? I have got one that is leaking and its not really viable to cut out a section of the 4 inch as there is no room. So I really need to remove and replace with another.

Silicone doesnt stick to plastic.

Plumbers gold might work, or sealing putty.

does it not, seems every plumber out there uses it,
same as these new chippies,what would they do without gripfill.

It will squeeze into gaps to create a seal on things, but it won't stick on plastic. Blob a bit on some spare pipe, wait for it to dry then see how easy it peels off.

re-sealing isn't an option. The boss is on top of the pipe and the only place I can see the water coming from is under the strap around the bottom of the pipe, so not really possible to seal.

can you get a small angle grinder in there ?cut in to sections ,peel of what you can and grind away the rest sometimes you can be lucky with a chisel but the pipe can shatter

can you get a small angle grinder in there ?cut in to sections ,peel of what you can and grind away the rest sometimes you can be lucky with a chisel but the pipe can shatter

Don't think there will be enough room for an angle grinder. Is there nothing out there that can dissolve the solvent cement holding it on?

re-sealing isn't an option. The boss is on top of the pipe and the only place I can see the water coming from is under the strap around the bottom of the pipe, so not really possible to seal.

ok then you have 2 choices,1 cut it out,replace,
or i will garantee this. gold labei pond seal. will even stick under water, yes ive use this.as i keep koi carp.

Do you need to replace it?

Heat the strap on boss with a blow torch carefully where it is glued. This will loosen the glue and then get a screw driver under it and it will peel off.

Get the oscillating saw out, if you can't get around the back just cut the outlet off and replace it with one of those stick on bosses.

Heat the strap on boss with a blow torch carefully where it is glued. This will loosen the glue and then get a screw driver under it and it will peel off.
hot air guns better as it wont melt the pipe as much

Is there any way of removing a strap on boss? I have got one that is leaking and its not really viable to cut out a section of the 4 inch as there is no room. So I really need to remove and replace with another.

is thefe a comma missing , how do you remove a strap on , boss lol

I've always used small hammer and small sharp chisel (and prayer to the plumbing gods)

I also use this method, if its leaking it isn't glued correctly in theory should snap off relatively easily. If not then you will have another problem the pipe will snap/shatter. Oh the joy

To be honest if it's leaking it probably hasn't taken tat well. Use a jnr to remove the straps then see if you can rock it loose. If its stubborn then try warming it as previously mentioned don't forget to clean the stack before you go fitting the new one

Junior with little cross slits then lump hammer and crowbar - now that is brutish!

Little cuts, hammer, driver & patience. Guaranteed to work. (see small print for t&c's)

I got it off with a hammer and screwdriver. Cheers for all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to removing a strap on boss. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back