Discuss Recommended replacement boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SueMax

My old Neataheat 16/22 died and I need a replacement. Right now, I am just looking for a like-for-like traditional boiler (ie stored hot water, fully pumped), since I am (a) trying to save capital monies (on installation works) and (b) gonna make changes soon which will probably affect things radically.... and I don't want two big plumbing jobs. So - like-for-like, keeping existing airing cupboard plumbing and minimising disruption when changing boilers. I realise localised piping will need to be changed to suit whatever boiler I choose.

Site of existing Neataheat (on kitchen wall) is pretty close to an opening window.

I favour either a Vailliant or a Worcester Bosch. Others have recommended Viessman (spelling may be wrong).

Suggestions welcomed! Don't really want another Potterton, because of their loss of reliability, and don't want a cheap boiler. Would rather have a good boiler but save on systems design until I am ready for the big changes.

Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue, will you be keeping all of the excisting system ? hot water tank ect, Will you be adding extra or bigger radiators, choice of boilers is up to you, you can now get boilers with 10 years parts & Labour warranty on them, things can be done about flue by useing plume kits, I do-not like Worcester boilers but thats me, just need to look at gas supply and how to get rid of condense water.

Hi Sue, will you be keeping all of the excisting system ? hot water tank ect, Will you be adding extra or bigger radiators, choice of boilers is up to you, you can now get boilers with 10 years parts & Labour warranty on them, things can be done about flue by useing plume kits, I do-not like Worcester boilers but thats me, just need to look at gas supply and how to get rid of condense water.

Thanks. What is your issue w Worcester Bosch? I have a Junior 28 in a rented place, but it is a VERY warm flat, so the boiler does not have to work that hard. The house which I am replacing the Neataheat in is solid walls, very poor insulation.....

You're better off getting a few local heating engineers to advise what they reccomend. If you haven't got someone local that you know/trust then post a message in the looking for a plumber or gas engineer forum and hopefully someone from here will be able to help you. Get 2 or 3 quotes if you can to try and make sure you're not getting ripped off but don't necessarily go for the cheapest. Don't forget to check their gas safe card as well.

Hi Sue, Had some problems with Wocester in past, same as Baxi, but at the end of the day the choice is yours and not mine, fit what you are happy with, I never try to recomend a particular boiler ,just look at back up and length of warranty

Thanks guys - appreciated. Roughly how much money should I need to budget for the labour side of a "straight swap" boiler replacement? I can see boiler prices online but I can't see the labour prices.

Depends on where you live, for Labour only some fitters will not put any guarantee on job, as any mark up on boiler will cover any call backs ! Will you be supplying everything ? Boiler / Fittings Ect Are you looking for a fix`d price or day rate or Pr Hr ?

Depends on where you live, for Labour only some fitters will not put any guarantee on job, as any mark up on boiler will cover any call backs ! Will you be supplying everything ? Boiler / Fittings Ect Are you looking for a fix`d price or day rate or Pr Hr ?

Hmm - good question "fixed price or price per hour?". I guess I actually don't mind. My question was a bit theoretical (ie. "I can see how much the boilers are on the web - how much extra would I need to budget to change old for new?").

As already stated get a few local guys round. Each installer has their own preference of boilers, due to experience and knowledge of those particular boilers.
One important factor( that I would look at anyway) in replacing the netaheat, to a modern steamer, is the existing wiring that is there. Older boilers had pump overrun wired in at the wiring centre, which is usually, close to the cylinder motorised valve etc. Most modern boilers, WB, vaillant and glowworm for starters, have to have the pump wired directly to the boiler, so the boiler controls the pump on startup etc, and overrun.
So, one big factor could be the distance from the boiler to the pump, and the practicalities of having to run extra cabling.
Get a few pros round, to suss it out.
BTW if this does turn out to be a real stumbling block, the baxi solo and viessmann do not require the pump to be wired directly to the boiler.
Wherabouts are you? There may be someone on here who can help you

Graham

Hi Sue,

As others have said, it's best to get a few local installers to give you fixed quotes - not estimates - around 3 or 4 would be good, so you can get a few offers to compare. As for boilers, I'd recommend Vaillant, had mine for years and had no issues with it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Recommended replacement boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need someone to replace my boiler, I am thinking to get an Intergas HRE 24 SB. Our current boiler (and old Ideal) is in the kitchen, and we...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
Hi I seek some advice on replacing an existing regular boiler. I currently have an old Potterton 10-16 Netaheat electronic, which is around 35...
Replies
Views
Hi All. My Aqualisa Aquavalve enclosed mixer shower valve leaked and gave way and I am looking to replace. I am looking for recommendations what...
Replies
Views
I've a client with a rusty 20yr+ old Certikin 180 (44kw) oil pool boiler that needs changing. Certikins replacement looks like it is the exact...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock