Discuss Radiator Valve Sizes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AWJD

I tried to adjust the lockshield valve on my 15 year kitchen radiator and it started leaking. I therefore decided to replace it and thought this would be a straightforward job. Unfortunately, the thread on the old valve appeared to be about 1" in diameter as was the nut on the radiator outlet.

I went round to our local Graham Plumbing merchant and nobody there seemed to have ever come across a radiator with this size valve before. If I can't find a suitable valve or converter then this radiator will need to be replaced which seems a little bit drastic.

Is the world going mad or is there a plumber out there who can offer me a solution?

Post a pic of the valve. You might need. Valve & rad tail

A pic will tell a thousand words

Most new radiator valves are 1/2 inch, thread/ 15mm copper. You have a union type radiator valve. These are 1". The trouble is that there are lots of different types of these, so you are better off removing the tail ( the bit in the rad) and use the tail that comes with a new valve.

Hi 3/4" on domestic is normally the biggest on a rad this age
Commercial valves can be bigger for black iron fitting
try using brass bushes or reducers to get to the correct size if there is enough room on the pipework
use a good seal prob PTFE as bushes and reducers are often not tapered

Welcome AWJD to the forum's......any chance of a picture of the valve as it could be helpful with your enquiry.....regards Turnpin :welcome:

try using brass bushes or reducers to get to the correct size if there is enough room on the pipework

It's a lockshield Union mate

Welcome to the forum.

Bit of an over kill isn`t? Bushes and fittings can be parallel or tapered threads and easy for an amateur to get wrong.

I attempted to load a picture of the valve via the 'Image' icon but, after selecting the file, the update file(s) link didn't work. Could someone please explain what is going wrong?

Not sure the upload of the picture worked but if it did it shows the Lockshield valve with 1" thread. .

Rad_Valve.jpg

Stnd drain off lockshield, if it's leaking where the ptfe tape is wants some compound on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator Valve Sizes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hullo everyone its a while since I posted on here basically because i have had no plumbing issues however I have one now. My son recently moved...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Hi all, have a radiator in the hallway which has never worked. When I bled the radiators few days ago I checked the hallway one, and it appears to...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Apologies - I'm new, but I promise to try and be an active member of the forum :) We're doing some decorating just now and it was...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock