Search the forum,

Discuss Thermostatic radiator valve lets water through at 0 in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone. Apologies - I'm new, but I promise to try and be an active member of the forum :)

We're doing some decorating just now and it was suggested that we take off the radiators to make it easier for the plasterer. We decided to have a go ourselves rather than getting someone in for such a small job. After watching a couple of YouTube videos, we decided to have a go - turning off the lockshield valves and thermostatic radiator valves as per the instructions, and with a moderate amount of success we managed to get both radiators off the wall. However it seems that one of our thermostatic radiator valves is letting water through even though it's at it's lowest setting (BELOW the frost setting).

We're not getting our plasterer in until the weekend, so at the moment we are just not switching the heating on. But as we're in Scotland and it's January this solution isn't an amazing one. We don't want to go through the hassle of putting the radiators back on, as it took us an hour or two to take them off. Is there something quick we can do to resolve this?

A few more notes - I've heard of decorators caps, but from what I understand they need to be the correct type for the valve, and I've no clue what type of valve I have or where to get these caps from.

I also wondered if the thermostatic valve had been fitted incorrectly - would it be worth removing and re-fitting this? And also is it possible to do this with the radiator off the wall without flooding the bedroom?

Any advice on the above or alternative solutions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

1 penny piece in-between the trv head and pin and slowly close the head should stop at 1 ish you will have to cap/ blank the open trv ends as they could open depending on how cold it is

Thanks Shaun, I had heard this before too. So you think best way is to remove the TRV and refit with a small coin to close the pin? Is there any way I can do this without getting flooded, or do I just have to be quick and press the pin as soon as the TRV is off?

Do it before you remove the rad ?

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-blank-nut-1-2-x/51939

And 1/2 fibre washers

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/arctic-products-flexible-tap-connector-washers-1-2-10-pack/2035j

If no washers are included

Reply to Thermostatic radiator valve lets water through at 0 in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock