Discuss Pressurised system help...please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they didn't leave the foot pump, sorry if I gave that impression.
So, really, I should point out the various leaky TRVs we have as well then.
I've never bothered as I don't see them as a big issue.
They only tend to drip black gunge when the heating's been off for an extended period.

If you have black gunge leaking out of the valves your system is in a worse condition than you think, had no inhibitor in system for years.

I don't doubt the system could do with a flush, but the money that entails is something we just don't have....

Did they dump the system pressure to check the expansion vessel pressure? Half a cup of water can drop pressure.
Between 1.0 and 1.5 cold and about 1.5 to 2.0 when running hot, but depends on system size.
Does it ever get up to 3 when running?

With all the new stuff they've given me over the past few weeks, I'm probably quids in.
I've had a new pump, new controls and a new 'something' in the boiler.
I keep thinking they're chasing their tails and missing the real problem, which is a lack of pressure.
I'm correct in thinking a lack of pressure would make the boiler and pump 'run on' after the controls have gone off?
The pump is really loud when this happens, which suggests a lack of water.
Once the heating 'officially' comes back on via the controls, the pump gets progressively quieter.

You need to get them back in, the boiler should not be firing if the controls are off that just sounds bizarre. Pump can run on when the boiler isn't firing certainly but the lack of water you describe sounds like an airlock. When the system is pressurised you should be able to bleed it out.

I think the boiler (and pump) running on were why they fitted new controls.
They obviously blamed a control panel problem.
But I'm not convinced, I think it's all to do with lack of pressure in the system due to the fill-loop not working etc.
They're visiting tomorrow.

If you have any motorised valves (zone valves that will have a square plastic or metal head) then they can fail and put power to boiler and pump.
But I would be astounded if the boiler service blokes didn’t check that.
Your TRVs leaking when heating off means they are always leaking and this will contribute to system water pressure loss

EV air pressure can only be set once you have got rid of the system water pressure, air pressure should be around 0.9 bar, if water leaks from the schroeder valve then the EV needs replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressurised system help...please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock