Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Potterton Netaheat 'whoosh' on firing up. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Went to a job today.

Customer wanted a second opinion. Had another engineer round before me to do a LLC. He capped the meter off as the hob (built in to work top type) was fitted on bayonet hose and plugged in to old bayonet.

Also said the boiler was dangerous as when it fired up there was a whoosh sound and you could feel the pressure on the case as it fired up.

Pressure at meter was ok. Faulty gas valve?

Previous engineer had filled out warning notice but only recorded info about the hob, nothing about the boiler but said it needs replacing.

Any ideas what could be causing this 'whoosh'?

Sounds like the normal operation / start up of a positive pressure boiler...

That's what I thought at first until the customer said he had never really noticed that before. Called my boss to get his opinion and he said he thinks the gas valve might be faulty.

I would turn on the gas, fire the old girl up see... Check the basics like burner pressures, gas rate & combustion performance... Good old boilers!

I'd check for a good clean correctly sized pilot and a clean burner.

Yeah we had a feeling most if not all parts are obsolete for these. Boss is giving a quote for a new boiler anyway. The bloke has just had the flat newly decorated with a new kitchen, don't think he was expecting to have to replace the boiler.

Yeah we had a feeling most if not all parts are obsolete for these. Boss is giving a quote for a new boiler anyway. The bloke has just had the flat newly decorated with a new kitchen, don't think he was expecting to have to replace the boiler.

That always amazes me, if the fridge, washing machine, cooker youre car etc etc was twenty years old. You can guarantee it would be noticed and replaced.

Netaheats do tend to ignite like that. Remove the cover and have a look at the back of it. It will most likely be fine. The combustion chamber is behind another panel inside.

A bayonet on a hob isn't necessarily wrong. It depends on the mi's of the particular hob and how it has been fitted.
If no mi's available it would be fair to say its not allowed.
Either way he shouldn't have capped the meter off for that. Unplugging the bayonet and a signiture would have been enough (AR).
If they plug it back in again when you leave its not your problem. They are aware of the risk and make their own decision.

There is nothing on a netaheat that could breakdown you can't get.

If my memory serves me right these are electronic? Old solenoids and a Mercury vapur switch?

Netaheat II was the big seller, and was electronic. Netaheat I was before my time.

The only thing hard to get is the old rodgers gas valve but you can still get them if you look around.

If it is the netaheat profile you can get everything for them.

Wasn't one of these with the asbestos sealing gasket on the combustion chamber?

biggest issue with the neta heat is the long since obsolete case seal ,remove the case and if the seals shot its ID,also the backplate can rot away due to leaking circs,but thats rare

Check the flue too, it might be the one where he end corrodes at the terminal, or that might just be the profiles I'm not sure

That always amazes me, if the fridge, washing machine, cooker youre car etc etc was twenty years old. You can guarantee it would be noticed and replaced.

And always the kitchen fitter puts them in the smallest cupboard ever so you have to dismantle the new kitchen to get the boiler out!

And always the kitchen fitter puts them in the smallest cupboard ever so you have to dismantle the new kitchen to get the boiler out!

That makes my blood boil! Specially when custy says, he didn't have to do that last year.

Cheers for all the replies.

My initial thoughts were the boiler seems ok. I said the engineer could have unplugged the hose for the hob if that's all it was. I'm not familiar with these boilers but as soon as the customer said he hasn't heard the boiler behave like that before was when I thought i'd call my boss and get his opinion.

I haven't heard anything more about it. I was maybe being over cautious but that helps me sleep at night.

That makes my blood boil! Specially when custy says, he didn't have to do that last year.
Makes you wonder why you bother, had a ferrtolly rammed inside a cupboard the other day... bloody kitchen fitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Netaheat 'whoosh' on firing up. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
I have an old Modena 80 E combi boiler that is randomly short cycling on windy days. The burner goes out and re-ignites within a few seconds and...
Replies
Views
All, Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am in a bit of a predicament. I have recently had a stove fitted in a chimney that had a disconnected and...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
Evening all. Can anyone help me with a bit of advice. We “inherited“ a Potterton Prima 60F boiler (which we were told in 2013 was 3/4 years old)...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock