Search the forum,

Discuss Potentially being taken to court. What should I do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Only thing I can think is the plumber has turned up and asked if any work has been done recently and once they said about the toilet he's gone straight for that.

Only thing I can think is the plumber has turned up and asked if any work has been done recently and once they said about the toilet he's gone straight for that.
Which plumber ? The people who did all the rest of a complete new plumber? If she would like to court she must have ask per the installer who fixed it for a plumbers report. Could you not get the report of her?

Which plumber ? The people who did all the rest of a complete new plumber? If she would like to court she must have ask per the installer who fixed it for a plumbers report. Could you not get the report of her?

Sorry I meant the plumber who has done the repairs following me.

I have asked for photos, dates, invoices, and a report of the work carried out.

For some balance here, and as already said, I've had a job about 9 months ago where a nail had gone through a heating pipe some years earlier. It only started leaking when the nail finally rusted away. The system had never been perfect, always losing pressure over 6 months or so but they simply topped it up and got on with life.

So, as we all know life is stranger than fiction and these things can happen. All that said though Ash is def being targeted and its being dealt with. She's made some rubbish assumptions and picked on the wrong dude in the wrong industry. Supporting one another is just something we all do I'm sure. I dunno about Girl Power, this is the power of the pipe slice!! :D:D:D

Ash,
Don't get yourself worked up about the situation.

Just get the customer to send you through the photo's and invoices / reports from the people who did the repair job.

Contact your insurance company and forward the information on.

Let the customer know that you have placed the claim with your insurance company and to deal with them in the future.

If they can't produce the receipts for the repair works, then you have nothing to answer.

I had a situation a couple of years ago where I told the owner I would just pay for the repairs because the repairs were less than my insurance excess.
I asked him to send me through the invoice from the repairer. He said he paid the repairer cash and has no receipt or invoice.
I just told him I would pay the amount when I received a copy of the invoice, description of the works done and a receipt of payment from the person who did the works.

Never heard from him again.

Problem is with contacting your insurance company is they might pay the customer the amount.
I would wait and see what bull the customer gives you in writing, invoices, photos, and then decide if her case is flawed.
No rules to say you have to use or inform your insurance.

She really needs to provide you with more evidence. If that's the repair job in the photo then it is evidence of nothing without the damaged section of pipe being available for you to inspect. You'd then be able to determine if the hole was indeed caused by a screw or any number of other possibilities including being deeply scuffed by a trowel, a manufacturing fault with the pipe (I've seen brand new microbore with a quarter inch long hole in before) or corrosion caused by the screed/adhesive assuming the pipes weren't protected.

I'd stand my ground and demand the piece evidence.

Thanks oz and best, won't be using insurance for this. Im not stressing anymore. I'll see it through to the end, if it goes to court and I lose I can live knowing I didn't roll over.

They at no point made me aware of the issue and had repairs done before let to g me know then said its a case of 300 or we go to court. I legally should have been made aware and given a chance to do something about - my understanding so far.

Their argument is that I should have checked for pipes being there and that I didn't carry out the work with due care and attention. - I say I did.

I'd say it's stronger in my favour.

As someone said earlier, could just be a pin hole through age corrosion.
IF it were to reach court which I doubt it will I doubt if the repair man would be willing to be there to give evidence.

As someone said earlier, could just be a pin hole through age corrosion.
IF it were to reach court which I doubt it will I doubt if the repair man would be willing to be there to give evidence.
It was me mate. Wouldn’t put it past it being a pin hole. Especially with the state of the lagging on the other pipe.

Hi Ash,

I was just inferring to use insurance as a ploy.

That way, you could ask the customer to send you through all the photo's and repair bills that were incurred on their behalf so you could forward them off to your insurance company.

[ The ball is their court then. It's up to them to give you the information you require to process a claim. Tell them you can't begin the process until you have all the information your insurance company requires]

You would also have the repairer(s) details and you could contact them about what the repairs were and what they think caused the problem. ( if you wish )

I personally wouldn't claim on insurance for the amount of money they are chasing you for. But I would make sure I have all ALL the information they have regarding their claim against you.

I would also infer, from now on, all communication via email.
Respond to them politely and promptly, if they call you, just ask them to email you.

Thanks to everyone so far for taking the time to reply.

After some good advice, I have sent them a letter, I have not heard back yet.

A week ago I spoke to the company who did the repairs, I spoke to the boss who priced the repair and he sent a someone to do it, he said I was extremely unlucky and could have happened to anyone. He has done work for them before and can't stand them, he said they are a nightmare to work for.

He also agreed not to pay out as there was no way of checking the pipes were there, at most he said maybe offer £100 goodwill gesture but don't admit anything.

He also agreed she should have come to me first. He seemed genuine, he spent more time complaining about the customer than talking about the job.

Will update when I can.

If you had drilled it then you would have got wet.
Never gave you chance to inspect or repair.
Strongly worded letter including a paragraph with regard to taking a very dim view of a customer attempting to make fraudulent claims.

Did a bathroom about 4 years ago, 18 months after they wanted me to go back and replace the seal on the shower bath screen as it had gone mouldy. Fine, but chargeable as I hadn't supplied the materials. I received a snotty text, saved it and didn't hear a thing for 4 months. Then received a letter to say that the bath leaked and damaged the ceiling below because I hadn't installed the screen seal or the bath properly. Wanted 750 for repairs.
I sent a letter, recorded delivery, with a transcript of the message they sent, that I believed they had incorrectly changed the seal and caused the leak and that if they wanted to pursue a fraudulent claim I would see them in court. Never heard a thing.

Some people are just a$$holes.

Hi, apologies for the delay. From all the previous posts we know the story, it's been 3/4 months since anything has happened.

I sent them a letter back in May/early June at a push, very polite and pretty much said I don't accept liability. The repairs were done before I was made aware there was a problem. I offered £150 as a 'goodwill gesture' but no fault accepted. I explained I had taken advice from trading standards etc and the 'repeat performance' factor that I didn't get the opportunity to do goes in my favour.
The fact that she didn't want me back in the house is neither here nor there, she cant have it both ways. She can't get repairs done without me being aware of the issue and then come to me for the money. If she didn't want me to do the repairs she had to tell me that and I should have been given a chance to agree to anything being done.

All I've received are the photos I've posted on here and an invoice from the plumbing company who repaired the pipe which is £340.

The letter dated 16.9.18 from (1st time contact from her and not the boyfriend) says that she wants £450 to cover the total cost of repairs or she is taking me to court. It's all worded politely. She says if it goes to court she will also be claiming court costs and compensation for the inconvenience caused. She says thank you for the offer of £150 but doesn't think that is reasonable. She has given me 30 days to respond or she will be taking court action..

400 a day seems fair

Yes, go to court. In reality that is, prepare for court with a reply letter.
It is a game of bluff usually and both sides wait to see who gives in first.

You need to do a reply letter to their latest letter , just stating very politely a repeat of your side of the story, how you should have been informed instead of being accused of unsubstantiated damage long after your work.
Repeat that your £150 was a goodwill gesture only, without any liability on your part, and now that it has been rejected you now withdraw the offer.
Do mention you believe you have been unfairly treated and ignored.
Do as Shaun said and say you will be claiming for lost earnings and expenses.

Last edited:
I also think it is vital that the time has passed for the £150.00 gesture. I would write your reply and see what they say. Might be worth getting in touch with someone in the law know how, just so you are prepared in the event they follow through with the threat.

I also think it is vital that the time has passed for the £150.00 gesture. I would write your reply and see what they say. Might be worth getting in touch with someone in the law know how, just so you are prepared in the event they follow through with the threat.

Yes, I think best to always retaliate with a very polite but hard response, reversing the points made against Armyash and putting the customer under the same treatment.
The £150 offer was a risky one because it infers admission of some responsibility, so I would repeat it was only a goodwill gesture and generous considering I have only had a couple of photos and apparently a third party report a long period after I had done the work, with total refusal for allowing me any involvement including opportunity of notification or viewing of any allegation.

It's like a game of chicken most times

Ok Armyash, - are you a chicken - or a man? :)

I look at it as small money that people assume you will rather pay than be taken to court.
I would call their bluff and on a principle, pay them nothing, should I cost myself at least that amount in lost time

Excellent advice from everyone once again. I understand the goodwill gesture was risky but it was crystal clear there was no admission of fault.

I will get a letter written up this week and I will post it up on here before I send it.

I feel things are more in my favour, I realise it's possible I can lose if it goes to court but I would rather lose in court, pay whatever they say than roll over now and give them money without a fight.

Excellent advice from everyone once again. I understand the goodwill gesture was risky but it was crystal clear there was no admission of fault.

I will get a letter written up this week and I will post it up on here before I send it.

I feel things are more in my favour, I realise it's possible I can lose if it goes to court but I would rather lose in court, pay whatever they say than roll over now and give them money without a fight.

TBH I don't think it will end up

Yes, I think best to always retaliate with a very polite but hard response, reversing the points made against Armyash and putting the customer under the same treatment.
The £150 offer was a risky one because it infers admission of some responsibility, so I would repeat it was only a goodwill gesture and generous considering I have only had a couple of photos and apparently a third party report a long period after I had done the work, with total refusal for allowing me any involvement including opportunity of notification or viewing of any allegation.
It’s what I hate most about this industry. Engineers to willing to slate each other, rather then stick up for each other. Completely winds me up to my core.
TBH I don't think it will end up
neither do I and to be honest you would have to be really unlucky for the court to not see what has happened here.

It’s what I hate most about this industry. Engineers to willing to slate each other, rather then stick up for each other. Completely winds me up to my core.

It would have been fair enough if Armyash had have done something that was clearly incompetent or cowboy work,
but drilling a newly tiled floor where you were asked to fit a toilet was just an unfortunate incident that a pipe happened to be below the exact spot. (If he actually did cause the leak).
The position of the holes to be drilled in the floor would have been most likely with little, if any, choice of position.
And any pipes should ideally have been not installed below where a toilet could be and to a decent depth.
If I had have been the trade coming to find the leak, I would have told the customer it was an unknown risk to the plumber and therefore not his fault really

It would have been fair enough if Armyash had have done something that was clearly incompetent or cowboy work,
but drilling a newly tiled floor where you were asked to fit a toilet was just an unfortunate incident that a pipe happened to be below the exact spot. (If he actually did cause the leak).
The position of the holes to be drilled in the floor would have been most likely with little, if any, choice of position.
And any pipes should ideally have been not installed below where a toilet could be and to a decent depth.
If I had have been the trade coming to find the leak, I would have told the customer it was an unknown risk to the plumber and therefore not his fault really

They are going to argue that I either was incompetent or didn't check for pipes under the tiles. Not sure how I could have checked that. I will argue that a pan was previously fitted there so I had no reason to expect there to be pipes where I would be drilling.

Reply to Potentially being taken to court. What should I do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock