Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Pop up waste removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beachlife

Need to fit a new pop waste to a basin. Howver the 2 sections on the old pop up waste just turn continuously. I have bent metal bars on trying to get the 2 sections to seperate. Have sprained with WD 40 and left to soak. Is there a tool which can be used to put in the top section so more torque can be applied. Or is there another solution?

You could smash the basin - that would get it out.

Confused slightly by .... hmmm ... was confused but just re-read the post.

The two top halves won't separate (as far as I know). You'll need to undo the trap under the basin, then undo the nut (under the basin as well). The waste will then lift out (pop up and all) and you can fit a new one.

Simples. If only!

Someone please correct me if I've got this wrong. I've only fitted one and that was on a bidet!!! The customer insisted but luckily I never did shake his hand again.

what i usually do to remove a pop-up waste is use a medium sized screwdriver as a lever to keep the top half of the waste still whilst undoing the bottom half. also works when installing them. just insert into overflow aperture of upper half.

Thanks Steve thats what I have done in the past. But this time the top section of the pop up waste just will not turn. Have bent metal bars trying to get the 2 sections apart.

Dontknowitall there is no nut under a pop up waste. You have to put a screwdriver or bar into the aperture where the pop up bar is in order to turn the lower section.

Amazing what a night's sleep does! Doh!!!

I remember the part now and what had to be done to fit it. Apologies for my futile attempt to help ... hope you find a way or else that idiotic suggestion of breaking the basin might be the only option after all.

;-)

Eventually had to resort to using hacksaw to cut from below the basin. Then with screwdriver and gently with hammer attacked the offending article, managing to lever off the unit from the screw thread after a long period of taking off bits of metal from the screw thread a gentle tap got the rest of the threaded unit off the basin.

No wonder the thing would not come apart in the normal way. Who ever had first fitted had used enough sealant to hold the space shuttle together.

Nice one Beachlife. And, coincidentally I was fiddling with a new pop up waste today - lo and behold I see how stupid my first post was!

strangely i find pop ups realy good fitted with out sealant of any kind and seldom get leaks on them although some of the rods gan be a pain to get right .Nothing like getting it all done up to find the rod is fouling the basin under the tap and you have to undo them to get it right

I agree Steve I never use sealant on a pop up either. Just wish others didn`t either. Never have had a leak with a pop up either so why the need for so many people in applying it without thinking about repairs or replacements?

it all depends on the model of pop up, and the quality of the mould used to make the basin. i use sealant on all models and basins, and my concern isnt for the next person, my concern is that i can leave a job leak free, and not worry about it for the next 5 years, if silicone does that for me, im happy.

same here shaun, cant remembr the last time i didnt use silicon, best to leave a leak proof job that will last in theory. altho basin mate is good.

Hi. If you can access theunderside ok. Using a thin metal cutting blade in a 4.5" electric grinder, cut through horizontally. It will then lift out. Good Luck

I'm with Migo on this one. By the way, instead of fiddling with those daft pop up rods, which you have to cut to length sometimes, as the horizontal section occasionally touches up against the wall, I try to persuade clients to have "click-clack" spring loaded pop up fitted instead, much easier to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pop up waste removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock