Discuss Poor workmanship found on my Worcester Bosch boiler!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

payney1974

Gas Engineer
I've recently been having an E9 (DHW only) fault on my WB Greenstar 35 HE Plus combi. I removed the DHW NTC to clean it up a bit and found a really poor fitting clip holding it in place and an electricians tie wrap securing the clip!!!!

Was this just a one off on my boiler(made late on a Friday night) or have any of you come across it as well? (Its about 8 years old now)

I'm going to order a new NTC on Monday and hope that a new improved clip will be provided too as I've just got soaked!!!:32:

an engineer knows which bits are wet and which dry, you shouldnt be touching safety devices on boilers.

The DHW NTC retaining clip had a tie wrap securing it together because its such a bad fit. I removed the tie wrap so I could remove the retaining clip but when I put it back together I only put the retaining clip back in as I did'nt have a tie wrap handy, opened the cold up slowly and the pressure pushed the NTC through the retaining clip and soaked me!! I fitted the boiler 8 years ago and have not changed a single part on it so it must have come out of the factory like it, I just wanted to know if anyone else had come across this? It even had a little tag on it with a picture showing it was a "wet" pocket.

Really? I fit Worcesters 90% of the time I find them really reliable, easy to fit and maintain.

Each to their own I suppose

sorry but got to laugh at a person that fits WB all the time getting a soaking, having said that your probably more qualified and experienced to answer your own question as i for one stopped fitting them 3 years ago having had nought but problems with the cheap plastic tat parts used on them. Had them breakdown with failed bits within weeks! ref the clips, all i can say is once you remove the clip it never seems to b e tight when you refit them unless you tweak the ends together first. hope it works for you over thew/end

They all seem to have cable ties holding stats on pipes

Its not holding a stat on a pipe, its a stat in a wet pocket with a retaining clip but the retaining clip is so poor fitting and loose that a cable tie was holding the retaining clip together so that the two prongs were in the groove of the NTC.

Its hard to explain, does that make sense?

sorry but got to laugh at a person that fits WB all the time getting a soaking, having said that your probably more qualified and experienced to answer your own question as i for one stopped fitting them 3 years ago having had nought but problems with the cheap plastic tat parts used on them. Had them breakdown with failed bits within weeks! ref the clips, all i can say is once you remove the clip it never seems to b e tight when you refit them unless you tweak the ends together first. hope it works for you over thew/end

The funny thing is I knew it was going to happen but I still nearly pooed my pants when it blew off!! The retaining clip had never been removed though so it must have been dodgy in the factory!

Because we have a policy on the forums not to discuss the repair of boilers in open forum to prevent have a go heroes from killing themselves and their families. We've a private gsr forum where gassy stuff can be freely chatted about.

Can you please pm Redsaw or Gas man with your gsr details?

You'll be asked a couple of questions then given the key to the door and a shiny yellow badge.

Cheers mate.

if his first name is stuart then can confirm he is a gas safe engineer, not that my word is enough :)

as regards the cable tie its not something i can say ive ever seen, maybe a quick cheap fix in the factory when bench tested??

No not Mr Wheatley. im much better looking than him ;)

i thought you would have had a all singing and dancing new green tech thing fitted costing thousands and not working as expected?? like most things the red machine seem to fit? :)

its Adam Wood btw, hope your and your family are well mate.

Hi Ad,

Hows things mate?

I've got mCHP installed at my house, when I got it I fitted my WB in my sister in laws house but I still refer to it as mine because I loved it!!

Things are good all in all mate. Being self employed is still a struggle with the way the country/world is but work is picking up at the moment. fingers crossed.

I spoke to Alan before christmas he said he wanted you to send him to all the jobs that are really really far away and he wanted to cover call out every single week and he did not want any extra wages for it and he would sleep in the van if needed. ;)

ill hopefully catch you again on the forum mate, ive got an icos (sadly) to service at 8 a WB at 10 and a bog and basin to change at 12 so id better get to sleep. I still cant get used to working weekends 8 to 5 sounds nice now :)

take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Poor workmanship found on my Worcester Bosch boiler!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone - despite my best efforts I can't seem find a clear answer on how to wire a single channel Hive Receiver to a Worcester Bosch...
Replies
Views
Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The...
Replies
Views
Hello all. During a recent service to a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 36 cdi compact boiler within my property, a filter was removed by the plumber...
Replies
Views
Morning all, I have a Worcester Bosch 8000 life 40kw boiler on system with 7 radiators and the boiler is located in the loft of a 1907 end of...
Replies
Views
Hi there, My boiler (Worcester Greenstar Ri) has started making a soft knocking noise when it turns on, and again a few times when it turns off...
Replies
Views
Back