Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing help in kitchen needed - can't turn water back on! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I've recently done the plumbing in my newly renovated bathroom and thought I'd have a go at the renovated kitchen. All was going well until I managed to move a 15mm cold water pipe and cause the stopcock to drip! I managed to stop the drip but am nervous about continuing to experiment! If I mess up the stopcock I'm seriously messed up. I really didn't want to call a plumber in if possible as I'm trying to learn from my mistakes

. image.jpg

So, my gas man had encouraged me to use quick fit plumbing fittings and I wanted to simply add a 15mm equal tee to the cold water line for my new dishwasher. I bought the Speedfit part and when I tried to fit it...things went downhill.

i carefully measured where to cut the pipe and tried to get both ends onto the pipe and then screw it back together...but without success.

I'm sure I've made a massive mess...and I now have no water because I can't put it back together!

Please see the attached photo and advise if you can.

Thanks a lot,

Taryn

(I thought about adding a few elbows which could work but would be completely bizarre and messy I'm sure).

whats your problem you cant get the cap back onto the t or is it leaking?

That grab ring is far too far down the pipe!! Your not meant to dismantle the joint even!

Thanks....I can't get the plastic sides back on as I used a wrench but thought I was damaging the thread. (I didn't want to call my gas man on a Saturday night as it's my fault and not an emergency!!)

Oh okay....I dismantled a 22mm one yesterday and managed to put it back together without any leaks. Damn....I guess that's why I can't get it to work. Anyone know how to add a tee with push fit?

Do it in copper & you could have eliminated the earth bonding with that one plastic joint,..

Thanks! I didn't know what a slip tee was...ill get one of those and then get my electrician to check earthing for me...very good point!! Thanks.

First I hope you used a pipe slice to cut the tube as a hacksaw will leave a ragged edge which could damage the O ring seal in the push fit coupling. As you have found out, in order to connect the coupling the pipes have to be moved apart then brought back together again. If you have an adjustable spanner, close the jaws so it just fits the 15mm pipe, place it behind the white fitting on the left and push fitting off end of pipe. Provided your pressure is on the inner collar at the back it will remove O ring and grab ring at the same time. Pressure on the wide part of the fitting will just make grab ring grip harder. Once removed reassemble and try again.

Obviously if you're joining copper to copper no insert required

That's almost done...I just have a couple of fittings from my shower valve that are leaking very slowly. I can't seem to get the right amount of PTFE tape...(I think that's the issue) Sorry...can't get photo turned round.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 65
That's almost done...I just have a couple of fittings from my shower valve that are leaking very slowly. I can't seem to get the right amount of PTFE tape...(I think that's the issue) Sorry...can't get photo turned round.

locktight 577

Find your stopcock out in the street or if you live in a flat it will be in the lobby maybe. Make sure it turns off the supply to your property. Then if you get a leak inside or break something, you can turn it off and repair at your leisure.

Why not? If it stops a leak its fine.

if a comp joint starts leaking theres somthing wrong eg wrong olive, not pushed all the way in or cheap joint out of spec

So interesting....I'm a recent convert to the joys of plumbing and am trying to learn all I can. That makes sense with compression fittings as I wondered why most of them didn't have tape. Can you use too much tape? It seems that sometimes I have put too much and it doesn't screw in that much. If it doesn't leak I guess that's okay! Also, is it standard practice to tape the olive rather than the screw bit? Thanks!

Good point regarding olives and out of spec. fittings. Becoming more common in recent years.

thats why i only use Kuterlite a tad more but least if it leaks its your own fault and not some cheap fitting

thats why i only use Kuterlite a tad more but least if it leaks its your own fault and not some cheap fitting

You and your fancy kuterlite... Someone will be along to tell you to get off that high horse again soon hehe ;)

If you've got to tape a compression fitting, tape the olive, 2-3 turns, never the thread. Better use Jet Blue paste.

Get yourself some jointing compound for your compression fittings. PTFE is a waste of time

I tape every olive on my compression fittings. No point having a leak for the sake of it! It has saved me many many times in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing help in kitchen needed - can't turn water back on! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock