Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Please read your insurance policy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalked

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
As a few of you are aware, I had my garage broken into and about £2500 of tools/stock stolen.
having never claimed off ANY insurance in my life (49 year old) . I decided I should claim on my household insurance. My policy says £4000 of cover, so went through the claims process only to be told today that in the small print it says that, trade tools used for work are not covered!!
on the insurance form I was asked what I did for a living and if I worked from home.
So where did they expect me to store tools???
so my advice would be for everyone to check all small print and ring your insurance to make sure tools stored in your garage are covered.

And when you've checked and made sure your tools are covered, keep any receipts/paperwork/manuals for the tools as these can all be used as evidence that you owned the tools

Even if you itemise work tools as a separate item I would be surprised if they were covered in a normal garage, they are too easy to open, sorry for your pain with it though

So sorry to hear of your troubles. Ours advised us that my tools and stock would not be covered. I insure them separately with my public liability didn't cost the earth either.

Catch a thief and hang him in driveway. Leave him there to ward off other thrives. No insurance needed

I don't think your unlucky if this happens to you......I think your lucky if it doesn't.

I sleep with one eye open in room overlooking van. Powertools inside. I'd break the little scumbags legs

Going to ring my public liability insurance tomorrow . (Corgi) I have £2000 of tool cover with them. Wish me luck!

Hey guys and i feel for you chalked as we work our arses off the buy the tools we use and they cost an arm and leg and for some ar*e to think its right to steal ,, makes my blood boil good luck in being compensated,,,,, to all thiefs death by pipe slice,,,

I feel your pain Chalky, my van Is still semi bare after it's raping a fortnight ago :(

I don't know who are the bigger theives, the scum who steal tools or the insurance companies, complete waste of time paying for insurance.

This makes me sick. Really sick that I start tho king violent thoughts if I caught a little scumbag......but then I think of my little girl and it brings you back to earth and you have to think with your head.

A gas van around the corner from us was broken into.
Tools gone
But they were just dumped along our street!
So this stuff was worth nothing to the thief but still expensive to replace if we didn't find it and return it to its owner

I don't know who are the bigger thieves, the scum who steal tools or the insurance companies, complete waste of time paying for insurance.

Or the people who buy stolen tools. Without them there would be no market.

I been had like this before with tools being stolen from the garage.
Insurance won't cover tools stored in a garage - but if your van was in the garage and the tools were stolen out of the van then they would be covered.

The best thing is to buy a heavy grade tool safe.
Something an angle grinder or oxy cutting torch can only get through.
Take photos of the unit, including how its fixed to the wall or floor.

oz-plumber

got mine on my new PI
told then 24/7
however the recent escapade i had with insurance im not sure its worth the paper its written on

Ours won't insure the tools in the garage even if they are in the van and the van insurance won't either, hence the separate tools insurance.

Feel your pain mate, about 2 weeks after my van was broken into, and written off because they crowbarred the doors off, my garage was done over and all my scrap nicked (there wasnt much and they seem to take a bag of grass cuttings too) but again they damaged my up and over door so badly we had to have a new door fitted which was about £1000 I think. Since then put bloody big locks on it, and a alarm although if I wasnt worried about the wife and kids doing themselves an injury, I would lift a few planks up from the inspection pit, fall down that and I am sure it would break a few bones. Barstewards the lot of them. Only grateful they didnt nick anything else, seemed to know what they wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please read your insurance policy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Hello, I'm wondering if you can help me. I have an insurance company who is trying to get me to make my plumber re-quote for work to replace a...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can. I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
Had a call to a 82 Old man, he paid these £300 up front for a years cover, and I find out on arrival he's been waiting for 3 weeks, no heating or...
Replies
Views
So I have a main drain that is plugged up in my apartment complex I rented a snake got it unplugged then flushed toilet paper down the toilet then...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock