Search the forum,

Discuss please help boiler kettling !!!!!!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darran

:38:

My boiler has started kettling and i want to put some additive in, I have a conventional heating system with a combination cylinder in the airing cupboard with no expansion tanks in the loft

this cylinder has a built in header tank and in the header tank is a small second tank which i think is the fill for the central heating as the outlet is 15mm pipe which then goes into the 22mm heating pipes by the pump.

I think this small tank inside my header tank is where i would put the additive but i'm not sure.

Could somebody please let me know if this is correct.

Thanks

One post in one section of the forum will do Darran. Do you know the make & model of the boiler?

No that tank is for the cylinder do not put anything in there, there will be a tank in the loft / high up will be plastic or metal (not copper)

there are no tanks in the loft of any type, it is a fortic type 4 tank with Baxi Solo 2 40 RS boiler.

Re header tank, do you have a large square one just above hot water cylinder ? that is split into 2 separate ones, problem with just poring into small tank it takes to long to get into system, best method is to inject into radiator or if you have one a towel rail, something like de-scaling boiler is not a DIY project, as the chemical required can be quite aggressive and can cause other leaks, as it will attack scale in other parts of system, B4 you attempt anything like this have a word with your insurance Co to see what you are covered for just incase other problems arise.

20160103_133053.jpg

this is a picture of the inside of the top of the tank, the header tank is joined to the main cylinder and the whole thing is insulated in foam.

Didn't think you could add chemicals to a combination type system... You convert to a modern sealed system or update the whole system maybe

It's a combined cylinder, so the heating uses the same water ( initially) as the hot water. You can't treat these systems with chemicals, as you might contaminate your hot water.

It's a combined cylinder, so the heating uses the same water ( initially) as the hot water. You can't treat these systems with chemicals, as you might contaminate your hot water.

wondered if anyone was going to mention this minor point :)

Is it possible to put some more photos of side of cylinder & pipe connections perhaps photo of label, is this a direct or indirect cylinder with some sort of expansion vessel in top part.

that is another hex in the storage tank, not sure what for, never seen one but they are there in pictures on google.

wondered if anyone was going to mention this minor point :)

looked again and it isnt a primatic cyl so no air gap issues to worry about, but you dont want to throw cleanser into your cold water feed to your hw.

diagram showed primary flow n return going into it and expansion pipe, couldnt find much else. had another peek and it does seem to be the means to filling the heating side....

fortic.png

Last edited by a moderator:
hi there, the photo shows the expantion yank which is fixed to the top of the tank. the pipe that comes out of the top of the inner tank is some type of overflow or something that is 22mm the comes off the central heating pipework by the side of the pump. from the bottom of the inner tank a 15mm pipe comes out of the side of the tank and then down into the central heating pipework. so this must fill the system somehow, but im not sure how the water gets into this inner tank from the header tank that it is fitted into.
hope i have explined this ok. will take some more pics and post later

this diagram seems about right, but can i put the additive in this inner tank or will this contaminate my hot water

looks to me that both the systems interconnect, so I wouldnt be pouring cleanser in any time soon, also where would you pour it in to get into the heating side. you may well do better to get a flush done on your whole system by a professional, who will need to isolate the cyl and tank side to do it.

the pipe that goes into the top is loose and can be pulled out to gain access to this second tank, this is where i think you could put the additive but im not sure how this connects to the water supply inside the hot water expansion tank.

thats what im worried about

A rare beast thank god! Fortic f4. Heating takes water from main tank through pipe in bottom of little tank. Cant use chemicals as could contaminate cylinder. Could isolate heating/boiler to flush.

Dont just dump chemicals in top or your next bath could be interesting!!

Not seen one of these before......where's Tamz when you need him ...lol regards Turnpin:smilielol5:

It shares a common feed tank. Even though it has a seperate vent, it will expand down the cold feed into the hot water cystern.

My old house had this system. I binned it for a Vaillant combi. Even put a towel radiator inside the airing cupboard for the wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all your replies and help.

Now need to decide to flush the system or change to a combi (major Expense)

my system is old but has always been reliable.

????????????

What i dont understand is why some days it is quiet and some days it sounds like a heard of elephants coming through the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to please help boiler kettling !!!!!!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator pipes during the strip out. Not the end of the world as damages happens. I am responsible builder and paying my bills and to repair the damages if...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock