Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe Threading Die Sharpening in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHPES

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I need a company which can sharpen the cutters in my threading dies by post without charging ridiculous prices. Any suggestions?

Didn't know it could be done. That's my new thing for today then :)

I'm on about the REMS / Presto ratchet / electric dies, yes of course they are meant to be sharpened routinely when they go blunt or they will be hard work and not cut cleanly, but it used to cost me £5 per set but the guy retired and the other local company is asking £20 per set. Where does everyone else get theirs done and how much do you pay?

Last edited:
As an apprentice the company I was with just binned them and bought more.

At a company I once worked for you could get a new pair of boots every month and unlimited tape measures, pens, stanley knives etc and some people couldn't bother walking back to the workshop and booked new ones out each time. You used to see spare ones lying around all over the place, used only once or twice. Needless to say the company in question almost went bust.

When you're working for yourself you tend not to throw out expensive tools which can easily be repaired or resharpened for a fraction of the cost of replacement. You wouldn't throw out a wood chisel when it lost its sharpness.

Last edited:
Always hire my threading machines. Did not know dies could be over hauled

I really didn't know this could be done cheaply. I've always ,bought new ones at about £80 a set i think the last ones were

Like I said it was costing £5 per set. If you take the top off the die you will see 4 cutters. These come out and are sharpened on a lapping wheel with diamond paste like one would do for hair trimmers, a fairly routine procedure. A machine tool sharpening company will do it, just I am miles away from any major engineering centre. When I worked for a pipeline company, they had a central stores which had a maintenance section and we handed the dies and big masonry drill bits back to them for resharpening.

BTW my local power tool company resharpens all my masonry drills larger than 7mm when they get blunt. It costs £2 per drill to resharpen and they come back like new, also my 18mm long reach masonry drill as opposed to £40 to buy a new one.

Last edited:
Like I said it was costing £5 per set. If you take the top off the die you will see 4 cutters. These come out and are sharpened on a lapping wheel with diamond paste like one would do for hair trimmers, a fairly routine procedure. A machine tool sharpening company will do it, just I am miles away from any major engineering centre. When I worked for a pipeline company, they had a central stores which had a maintenance section and we handed the dies and big masonry drill bits back to them for resharpening.

BTW my local power tool company resharpens all my masonry drills larger than 7mm when they get blunt. It costs £2 per drill to resharpen and they come back like new, also my 18mm long reach masonry drill as opposed to £40 to buy a new one.

Who do you use for your drill bit sharpening?

Think you may have to go with the £20 per set place, it's the cheapest I've heard. I think we get charged 30+p&p.

Who do you use for your drill bit sharpening?

Powerpoint at Thirsk. Not had any done for a while so not 100% sure of 2012 prices.

Just google search tool sharpening services, grinding services etc to find someone near you, or phone a local engineering workshop to ask who they use to sharpen their milling cutters etc.

Just had an email from a company near Hull which will resharpen a set of pipe dies for £12

Last edited:
I'm sure we used to send ours to fwb to be sharpened, that was quite a while ago so not sure in price etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe Threading Die Sharpening in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
I am in process of replacing an existing sink with a new stainless steel one. The existing tap is plumbed directly to copper which means that it is earthed. The new tap will use flexible tails and so will not be earth bonded. My initial search for information suggests that there is no legal...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock