Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe Threading Die Sharpening in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHPES

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I need a company which can sharpen the cutters in my threading dies by post without charging ridiculous prices. Any suggestions?

Didn't know it could be done. That's my new thing for today then :)

I'm on about the REMS / Presto ratchet / electric dies, yes of course they are meant to be sharpened routinely when they go blunt or they will be hard work and not cut cleanly, but it used to cost me £5 per set but the guy retired and the other local company is asking £20 per set. Where does everyone else get theirs done and how much do you pay?

Last edited:
As an apprentice the company I was with just binned them and bought more.

At a company I once worked for you could get a new pair of boots every month and unlimited tape measures, pens, stanley knives etc and some people couldn't bother walking back to the workshop and booked new ones out each time. You used to see spare ones lying around all over the place, used only once or twice. Needless to say the company in question almost went bust.

When you're working for yourself you tend not to throw out expensive tools which can easily be repaired or resharpened for a fraction of the cost of replacement. You wouldn't throw out a wood chisel when it lost its sharpness.

Last edited:
Always hire my threading machines. Did not know dies could be over hauled

I really didn't know this could be done cheaply. I've always ,bought new ones at about £80 a set i think the last ones were

Like I said it was costing £5 per set. If you take the top off the die you will see 4 cutters. These come out and are sharpened on a lapping wheel with diamond paste like one would do for hair trimmers, a fairly routine procedure. A machine tool sharpening company will do it, just I am miles away from any major engineering centre. When I worked for a pipeline company, they had a central stores which had a maintenance section and we handed the dies and big masonry drill bits back to them for resharpening.

BTW my local power tool company resharpens all my masonry drills larger than 7mm when they get blunt. It costs £2 per drill to resharpen and they come back like new, also my 18mm long reach masonry drill as opposed to £40 to buy a new one.

Last edited:
Like I said it was costing £5 per set. If you take the top off the die you will see 4 cutters. These come out and are sharpened on a lapping wheel with diamond paste like one would do for hair trimmers, a fairly routine procedure. A machine tool sharpening company will do it, just I am miles away from any major engineering centre. When I worked for a pipeline company, they had a central stores which had a maintenance section and we handed the dies and big masonry drill bits back to them for resharpening.

BTW my local power tool company resharpens all my masonry drills larger than 7mm when they get blunt. It costs £2 per drill to resharpen and they come back like new, also my 18mm long reach masonry drill as opposed to £40 to buy a new one.

Who do you use for your drill bit sharpening?

Think you may have to go with the £20 per set place, it's the cheapest I've heard. I think we get charged 30+p&p.

Who do you use for your drill bit sharpening?

Powerpoint at Thirsk. Not had any done for a while so not 100% sure of 2012 prices.

Just google search tool sharpening services, grinding services etc to find someone near you, or phone a local engineering workshop to ask who they use to sharpen their milling cutters etc.

Just had an email from a company near Hull which will resharpen a set of pipe dies for £12

Last edited:
I'm sure we used to send ours to fwb to be sharpened, that was quite a while ago so not sure in price etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe Threading Die Sharpening in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hello, I am plumbing in a double basin sink based on the first pic that I mined from a Reddit thread. (happy to accept suggestions on if this is correct as well) My waste pipe is 32mm and mounted in the floor. I will be mostly solvent welding However when I look at the top of the p-trap, I...
Replies
Views
I thought I'd create a master thread to move all of these similar threads into, over time like. If your central heating doesn't work boiler doesn't work radiators not working radiators or heating system is cold thermostat wont work or respond Then post a reply in this thread. Rather than us...
Replies
Views
hi all, is there any alternatives to cutting a HEP 2.0 pipe without using their own recommended cutters? i only have 2 cuts to do thanks
Replies
Views
I need to cap off a water connection which is the water pipe connector to an M15 hose pipe from a kitchen sprayer tap. I have included images so you can understand my problem. Can anyone tell me the best way to blank off that pipe. (That's the vertical brass pipe in the photos)
Replies
Views
I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and screed floor. There is a gas servile pipe under the floor which enters the property below the joists at the front of the house and comes up under the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock