Discuss Personal co alarms in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer to use a canary, sings better than I do and smarter than my last apprentice.

Cant see the point of haveing one if you are doing domestic work, would be ok when working in plant rooms etc.

Cant see the point of haveing one if you are doing domestic work, would be ok when working in plant rooms etc.

It's better to have one and not need one than to need one and not have one.

i carry mine on my tool box and twice it has alerted me to carbon monoxide I didn't sence myself(which I thought I was good at), one of the situations could of been the end of me as I had a Vitodens that had not been converted with a defective flue seal sucking in its own POC and producing unmeasurable levels of CO in to the boiler house I was standing in with the door shut, also that boiler had been running 18 months and there was no obvious signs and very little soot other than in the combustion chamber.

If you take in to account the ease at which a modern gas condensing boiler can produce CO if not fitted and maintained correctly compared to the older SE boilers then the argument for carrying one of these is easy to make, we don't have the luxury of having air pressure switches to help determine a flue fault or a boiler that's going to shutdown(melt) very quickly if not converted.

Sadly there were two deaths caused by a flue disconnecting and allowing CO to enter the property, the engineer had been out quite a few times without identifying the fault and just pressed reset on the boiler each time, there's always a small chance if he had a CO detector on his belt there may of been a different outcome.

If your in a property working on a cooker these device are good enough to detect a issue with a boiler you may not normally spot as you're not working on it.

£55 for this one , think i paid about 120 for mine. 2 year life span so that's 60 per year that's £5 per month or £1.15 per week , well my point is my life is worth a lot more to me and my kids for £1.15 a week.

Because I'm always in plant rooms I carry one in my tool bag. Mine's a fireangel one. Cost me 40 quid. Hasn't gone off yet and I hope it never will.

I agree can't see the point for domestic jobs but I'm open to reasons as to why we should use them.
This young lad was installing a system so makes me wonder how he managed to die from CO poisoning.

Incorrect flueing? Dunno. But a personal co detector could probably have saved his life. I carry one in my tool bag, doesn't come out as often as it probably should. Another habit I must get into.

I agree can't see the point for domestic jobs but I'm open to reasons as to why we should use them.
This young lad was installing a system so makes me wonder how he managed to die from CO poisoning.

Its good working practise and experience that keeps things safe out there, gasmans paranoia has to be super sharp allday everyday, what a CO detector does is gives you the heads up if you are having a bad day.

I don't know about you but there's been a couple of times where tiredness has made doing my job more difficult so it's nice to have the reassurance of a detector, I thought a detector was overkill untill that vitodens job, I had the boiler fired up and was setting up my anylizer, the dectector was on the floor when it kicked in.

I'v been working on domestic boilers for 25 years and can be a bit arrogant but I was tired and surprisingly to me I didn't spot the fumes I was inhaling, I am very thankful for the gizmo(which was on my toolbox as I thought it was a load of cack and I didn't want to carry it on me because I'm a real gasman)

You say their's no point in a domestic environment but I have seen a increase over the years with HE boilers and CO entering property's due to flue issues, It's nice having a back up if my spider senses fail me.

My ex wife didn't. Ferkin useless on so many levels.

Sorry to hear that croppie - she starting singing, and so you knew it was over and got out fast presumably?

Apparently, to meet the latest EU standards you need two fat ladies: one to keep an eye on the gas while the other fries the bacon!

well, I just bought one any way. Better safe than DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!! Is my motto

Good safety first ! But why this sudden fear that you need a Personal Co alarm, With all the new type boilers and safety devices etc, is this to become the lateist must have device to be seen out with, will GS make up a new rule that unless you have one you cant work, will we have to turn up to do our Acs with one ? How long B4 you woun't be allowed to work on a new build site without one ? Keep safe yes but sometimes it go' a little to far.

for £1.15 ill carry one all day long , only thing gas safe and the colleges will worry about if i die is there loss of income , me i worry about me gone and my family having no income

for £1.15 ill carry one all day long , only thing gas safe and the colleges will worry about if i die is there loss of income , me i worry about me gone and my family having no income

mmmm. Same here. I'm always in plant rooms on me tod. I'd rather have the safety blnket of a persie than chance me arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Personal co alarms in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, Just looking for a bit of advice really. last week we had our carbon monoxide alarm go off upstairs. We have 2 alarms in the house...
Replies
Views
Hi, A little about the business: I currently own a plumbing business (website and marketing) - looking to target residential and commercial...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help as I'm very worried and help is taking a while. Around 5am this morning our fire alarm went off, we now...
Replies
Views
V
Good morning, I thought I would try here first before going elsewhere. in short I had a septic system flexible coupling needing replacing. Backed...
Replies
Views
Hi gents and ladies, Making the probable mistake of buying a house at present : bit of a fixer with a shoddy but recent boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock