Search the forum,

Discuss Has anyone seen this in a gas box before? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help as I'm very worried and help is taking a while.

Around 5am this morning our fire alarm went off, we now think it might also be connected to the carbon monoxide alarm. Got up, checking everything, no smell, no fire etc, assumed maybe the battery is running low.

I pop out a bit later to record our gas and electricity readings, which I d monthly, and I see this in the box...can't be good, it definitely wasn't like this a month ago?

We rent, so we are at the mercy of our lettings agency. They spoke to a local gas engineer who said he's never seen this before and to get onto our gas supplier instead and call him back before he will even look at it. I don't think it's a dumb assumption to make sure the gas doesn't come on at any point later today? Still no smell, but we have every window open and keep checking the house. Should we be doing anything else?

IMG_3288.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think it is possible that you have had an electrical fault, or have faulty electrical wiring, resulting in a significant current passing along the gas pipe, which is gettting hot as a result. Do you have a modern consumer unit with RCBO detectors?

@Murdoch is our electrical-faults expert, perhaps he can comment.

I suspect you are going to need an electrician to fix the root cause and check the electrical installation followed by a gas engineer to replace the heat-damaged seals and sleeving, etc.

Last edited:
That elbow does need looking at but I suspect the gunk around the exit (pipe) has softened in the warmer weather and run. It should be filled/sealed with something more suitable. It looks like putty or plumbers mate to me.

The sealant and elbow are on the customer side and nothing to do with the Gas supplier or Cadent / Northern Gas etc.

The lettings agent needs to get a Gas Safe registered person to replace the elbow and reseal the hole with the correct sealant.

Last edited:

Reply to Has anyone seen this in a gas box before? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock