Search the forum,

Discuss Openable window, Cooker. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Orry Clayton

Information

My sister has asked me to re-do her kitchen, currently she has a build in electric hob and oven. She has recently had a conservatory fitted, which is where the openable window is now.

Kitchen is fairly small 2270*3300*2520 (18m3) W,L,H
1 Door to outside (to be changed soon)
Opens straight on to hallway, no door (archway)

She wants a gas cooker (5 burner dual fuel range)

I'm not GSR (yet) currently studying gas. I do have a GSR who will be supervising me on any gas works.

Question

With the outside door being changed soon, if it was a door with an openable window, would this be within the regs?
From all my books, it just says "openable window" but with it being part of the door, and doors can be changed easier than windows...

What are your opinions, so I can tell her, and plan the kitchen and get units etc...

Never mind, just looking through all my literature, and found "notes" which reads...

"openings other than window maybe acceptable, see Local Building Regs"

Crazy some regs aren't they :) Who instinctively opens a window when they turn their hot plate on or open the back door doing toast !!!! :crazy:

Never mind, just looking through all my literature, and found "notes" which reads...

"openings other than window maybe acceptable, see Local Building Regs"

The opening window/door must open directly to outside.

If there is now a conservatory with a door between kitchen and conservatory then
other arrangements must be made for extra ventilation.

Crazy some regs aren't they :) Who instinctively opens a window when they turn their hot plate on or open the back door doing toast !!!! :crazy:
My mother has quite a small kitchen. I have been telling her for years to open window when cooking without success.
Recently she qualified for a new Promax under the Scot. Exec and they fitted a CO alarm outside kitchen.

She has set the alarm off a number of times when cooking with window closed.

Hmm! Opening windows for ventilation has been a point made many times and not resolved. As said who would open a window in the middle of Winter or even think to do so?

Hmm! Opening windows for ventilation has been a point made many times and not resolved. As said who would open a window in the middle of Winter or even think to do so?
Why has this not been resolved? Agreed there is a bit of toing and froing between the different standard, but they are in place.

Wither you open it or not, an opening direct to outside from the kitchen is required.
If no opening, other means of ventilation must be sought or just forget the gas cooker.

always been a head scratcher that one got to have a window or permanent ventilation but no one me included opens the window when cooking same if their was a door cos in winter you would freeze and in summer all the little beasties would come in and eat your tea but i can see the sense in it

Information

My sister has asked me to re-do her kitchen, currently she has a build in electric hob and oven. She has recently had a conservatory fitted, which is where the openable window is now.

Kitchen is fairly small 2270*3300*2520 (18m3) W,L,H
1 Door to outside (to be changed soon)
Opens straight on to hallway, no door (archway)

She wants a gas cooker (5 burner dual fuel range)

I'm not GSR (yet) currently studying gas. I do have a GSR who will be supervising me on any gas works.

Question

With the outside door being changed soon, if it was a door with an openable window, would this be within the regs?
From all my books, it just says "openable window" but with it being part of the door, and doors can be changed easier than windows...

What are your opinions, so I can tell her, and plan the kitchen and get units etc...

When Calculating the Ventilation requirements of a FLULESS appliance or Decorative Fuel Effect Fire,
NO allowance can be made for Adventitous ventilation,
Greater Than 10m3 an Openable window to outside is Required BS 5440-2,, Any Air vent Must be Direct to outside
If the door or Window opens direct to outside then No ventilation is required, As you have a conservatory this is classed as a room
and not direct to outside, Therefore Ventilation is required.

Where an extension or conservatory have been added and no intermittent extraction has been provided the ventilation may be achieved by means of purge ventilation via an openable door, window or similar opening direct to outside air equivalent to 1/20th of the combined floor area of the kitchen and conservatory and, inaddition, background ventilation by means of closable trickle vents located at least 1.7m above the floor with a minimum free area of 8000mm2.

As Stated in the NicEic Domestic Gas Safety On Site Guide.
Hope this helps
topdog
Trainee Gas Engineer, Doing 15th job of my portfolio.

topdog,

just out of interest how do you find the Niceic books? compared to any others you may have seen?

Seen? I thought he had swallowed them:grin:

Now you can see what us newbie's have to read as we train to become Gas Engineers,
these are the regs and like everything we do we must follow the regs no matter how long it takes to read them.
confused.................
this is basic stuff for us newbie's lol

Now you can see what us newbie's have to read as we train to become Gas Engineers,
these are the regs and like everything we do we must follow the regs no matter how long it takes to read them.
confused.................
this is basic stuff for us newbie's lol

forget about how long it takes reading them is about how much longer will take to get the job done so ti comply with the regs

forget about how long it takes reading them is about how much longer will take to get the job done so ti comply with the regs

Its quicker to do the job, now.... all the reading is done and dusted,
Doing the job is the easiest part.....
remember time is money.......lol
Do the planning and regs, Job done right, No come backs from hse....

When Calculating the Ventilation requirements of a FLULESS appliance or Decorative Fuel Effect Fire,
NO allowance can be made for Adventitous ventilation,
Greater Than 10m3 an Openable window to outside is Required BS 5440-2,, Any Air vent Must be Direct to outside
If the door or Window opens direct to outside then No ventilation is required, As you have a conservatory this is classed as a room
and not direct to outside, Therefore Ventilation is required.

Where an extension or conservatory have been added and no intermittent extraction has been provided the ventilation may be achieved by means of purge ventilation via an openable door, window or similar opening direct to outside air equivalent to 1/20th of the combined floor area of the kitchen and conservatory and, inaddition, background ventilation by means of closable trickle vents located at least 1.7m above the floor with a minimum free area of 8000mm2.

As Stated in the NicEic Domestic Gas Safety On Site Guide.
Hope this helps
topdog
Trainee Gas Engineer, Doing 15th job of my portfolio.
that will be 80 cm2 then,4 inch round hole in old money,however most would core out 100cm2(5 inch) as thats the convenient core drill vent kit commonly available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Openable window, Cooker. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock