Search the forum,

Discuss Old Threaded steel pipe to 22mm copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EastAnton

Dear Forum,

Im trying to increase water pressure for my bathroom and need to connect a pump to run from the bath water feed as cant get another pipe from attic tank to pump. The issue I have is that the old pipework is steel threaded and whilst I'm having to do all the work, I dont want to screw up the water supply, as I cant get any local plumbers that want to do the work.

If anyone has adapted the old steel threaded pipe to 22 copper can you please let me know potential problems or how I can do this, or if anyone is Andover based, please let me know.

Have an image but cant upload. I know that it can be done as there is a 15mm pipe coming off further to feed a toilet, but ideally I would like to cut the pipe, run new pipe to pump, then reconnect so that I can get more than a dribble from the basin taps and shower that I want to connect.

Thanks for any help

If it's a 3/4 steel pipe then you're after a 3/4 by 22mm female iron. Ptfe up the steel thread. 25 times and the wind on the female iron and then you're away in copper

Easy. Cut it out and thread in a brass bsp adaptor. . Use locktight and paste o. Threads

probably get a better result replacing the old, blocked steel pipework, then no need for pumps etc

Are you sure it is steel I personally have never seen steel pipework on domestic supply's ?
Could be 20 thread ?

If it's a 3/4 steel pipe then you're after a 3/4 by 22mm female iron. Ptfe up the steel thread. 25 times and the wind on the female iron and then you're away in copper

Thank you Rybo_1 would you know if the measurement for the width of the old pipe is the external size or the internal pipe measurements. Happy to put on the female connector, but not sure if the old pipe work will actually unscrew as looks a tad rusty. Cheers

One of these.......

image.jpg

definitely rip it out thats the bit thats limiting your flow rates for sure probably find theres only a pinhole through the middle of the pipe

definitely rip it out thats the bit thats limiting your flow rates for sure probably find theres only a pinhole through the middle of the pipe

Thanks, but its not that easy as the building is listed and there is no access to the pipes. Flow rate is OK but not good enough to run modern flexi hose taps nor the shower I have which needs a minimum of 2 bar.

I'm confident that I can connect pipes with modern fittings, but my concern is cutting the pipe to try and remove near a thread, because if I cant remove, then I dont have any water as so far 15 plumbers have told me that they ca't do the job until after Xmas or when booked in they never turn up.

Trying to find best way to remove the pipe near a thread, or may use modern pipework further down but will have to drill holes through a flint wall.

Cheers

What you need is one of these, then you can cut the pipe anywhere and cut a new thread! Just make sure you cut it somewhere with plenty of room to work at it.

image.jpg

Are you sure it is steel I personally have never seen steel pipework on domestic supply's ?
Could be 20 thread ?

Usual spec back in the 70s/80s due to copper shortages and price was galv steel with copper tails. Have replaced several 60+yr old black iron mains supplies in the past where the pipework was half blocked with rust & crud. The OP'd be better off ripping it all out and putting in new copper throughout. Would also get rid of the Monday morning 'Rusty Water' problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old Threaded steel pipe to 22mm copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock